solidbry Posted November 23, 2015 Share Posted November 23, 2015 Hi everyone, I have a complex mesh representing underground galeries from a mine. It was made by my client in Promine which is an extension of Autocad for the mining industry. First, I needed to convert this mesh into 3Dface so my software (Geovia Gems from Dassault Systems) can read and import it. This is the easy part and I've already managed to do that in Autocad simply by exploding the mesh which seems to successfully convert said mesh into 3Dface. Where I'm having big problems is that once it's converted into 3Dfaces, I have all the coplanar faces (which seems to be relics from the mesh) of the galeries forming some kind of walls within the tunnels. I can't calculate a volume in my Gems software because those walls are generating a massive amount of self-intersections in the tunnels. The triangulation is pretty screwed-up inside. I thought that maybe there's a way to create some kind of shell only around the outer faces of the galeries while ignoring everything that is inside to get rid of those walls. I've tried the shell modifier but it also create a shell around those pesky coplanar walls inside my tunnels so I end up with the same problem. I've also tried to extrude and vertex weld but no luck there either. In the end, I really need to get rid of those coplanar faces to form an "empty" tunnel. I managed to do it relatively quickly in Sketchup but it seems that this software is doing something to the data and I kind of lose my triangulation and the coordinates of my vertices in the process. Even if I export the result in CAD format, my Gems software says that the file I'm trying to import has no triangulations. I've included a DWG sample (sorry I had to split the file as it was just over the 500kb size limit) of a mining galery corresponding to the original mesh made by my client. I'm using this exact sample to test solutions because the whole complex is pretty huge and takes way to long to test each time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong from the start so I figured that I would provide the original mesh. I've been trying all kinds of procedures and custom scripts in Autocad and tried some stuff in 3DS Max without any good results so far. I really hope that there's a solution besides manually removing each coplanar "wall" since it would take a tremendous amount of time to achieve given the size of the mining complex. I'm in no way an Autocad/Max expert but I usually always manage to fix my problems. This issue is one of a kind and I'm unable to fix it Big thanks! - Bryan Opening3D_Test.part04.rar Opening3D_Test.part03.rar Opening3D_Test.part02.rar Opening3D_Test.part01.rar Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.