Layout Viewport Struggles

HREAM

I need to have 4 different sides of my model in the layout. I created 4 viewports, but when I edit one of them, all of the models are being edited. I understand why this is happening, but I don't have a clue how to resolve this. Any help? :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• HREAM

• TheCADnoob

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you created your four viewports did you designate one for the top, front, side views and whatever you are using for the fourth view?

Yes, but I am talking about editing the model itself. I have to show the 3D model in seperate parts, so when I try to seperate the model in my 2nd layout viewport, it also gets seperated in other viewports and I don't want that to happen.

P.S. I am sorry, I am a beginner :oops:

Back up a minute. Are your viewports in model space or in a paper space layout?

If you are using a layout put the separate sections of your model on different layers (using different colors too) then use the viewport layer freeze feature of the layer properties manager to display only the layer you want.

You are looking at the same model in each viewport, so naturally any editing done to the model will reflect in each viewport. Not sure exactly what you are after but you might try putting each part on a separate layer and if you need to show one view with the parts separate then create extra duplicate viewports, freeze all layers but one in each viewport using the VPfreeze column in the layer manager, and then arrange from there.

I have a suggestion. Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post and someone here will take a look at it. If the file size exceeds limits then upload the drawing to a file sharing website like Dropbox and post a link to it here instead. Images are not all that useful to us.

Viewport layer freeze example. All four objects exist in each viewport but some layers have been frozen in three of the viewports.

VPFreeze example.jpg

Edited by ReMark

I need to have 4 different sides of my model in the layout. I created 4 viewports, but when I edit one of them, all of the models are being edited. I understand why this is happening, but I don't have a clue how to resolve this. Any help? :D

TO get it to look like your example you are going to probably have to use around 11 view ports. The Majority of the viewports will be used to create the exploded parts at the bottom left and you will use the freeze fram as everyone has indicated. You can dimension your drawing in paper space so don't try to dimension in model space. The top two view ports will be the same but you will dimension the top right in paper space. To get the image on the bottom left you will have to use section view.

How did you arrive at eleven viewports? Why would you need more than one viewport to create the exploded view?

sorry, was looking at example. she would need 4 for her exploded view and then at least an additional three to complete the full layout in the example.

EDIT: did you use three to create your example above?

I think it would take three viewports as one of them would be a duplicate. Note that the top two viewports are the same except one is dimensioned. The exploded view I'd do using duplicate geometry (if needed) and just space it all out and show it in one viewport. The sectional view would require its own viewport.

Yes, I used three viewports arranged vertically for the image seen in post #15.

I think it would take three viewports as one of them would be a duplicate. Note that the top two viewports are the same except one is dimensioned. The exploded view I'd do using duplicate geometry (if needed) and just space it all out and show it in one viewport. The sectional view would require its own viewport.

Yes, I used three viewports arranged vertically for the image seen in post #15.

Could you please send me the .dwg file of that example?