Converting Soliworks 2009 to STL files for 3D Printing

lulumara

I just wanted to know what are some problem that a STL files might occur when you convert the Solidworks parts or assembly to STL files? What should I use or do in order for a Solidworks to be converted to STL files for 3D Printing without any problem?

I'm not a SolidWorks guy but probably zero issues. It's a very simple process. I've printed many things I designed in AutoCAD and Inventor and the STL export came into the 3D printing software with no problems whatsoever. Just give it a whirl.

I have two problems when I converted to STL files , I was told the stl files is kinda broken or some were less define? Maybe I need to use refine it --- 0.01mm and small angle such as 5 degree. I read this in one of in the website:

SolidWorks

1. File > Save As

2. Set Save As Type to STL

3. Options > Resolution > Fine > OK

4. Save

5. STL settings: How to change STL settings

6. File > Save As

7. STL > Options

8. For a smoother STL file, change the Resolution to Custom

9. Change the deviation to 0.01 mm

10. Change the angle to 5 (smaller deviations and angles will produce a smoother file, but the file size will get larger).

I am not sure what you mean by your STL files are broken. Who said they are broken?

When you save as an STL you simple do as above and Save As. When you go into the Options for the STL(before clicking ok to save) you have a few options, again as mentioned above, but the thing they don't mention is really what that means.

angle changes the angle between polygons in the file. Depending on what you are printing the file on the angle will matter. If you are going through a company that prints professionally ask them what setting they prefer. I have done as small as 1degree and as high as 10degree(on more square parts). I don't typically go over 3degrees for anything that has complex curvature BUT depending on the resolution of your 3d printer it might require a certain degree.

When saving an assembly there is an option to "save all components of an assembly in a single file" but i can't say that i use this. I typically save the SW assembly as a part(but very rarely). My typical workflow is Multibody/master model so all my stuff is usually in one part file anyways and i print one body at a time.

The other option is to translate into Positive space. Some companies/printers require this as well.

Can you give more info on what is broken. also if you open the STL file in SW(try turning on the add in ScanTo3D first) what does it look like?