need help plotting at engineers scale like 1/20. 1/30 1/50

cadartista

I just want to know if I need certain settings to plot at these scales or what I need to do because my paper size is 36x24 inches and I can only plot to architectural scales like 1/4 ,3/16 1/8 etc but I cannot get 1/20 scaling of my drawing please help me

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• cadartista

• Dana W

• samifox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's just be clear up front shall we? You are working in imperial units and are interested in scales that are commonly used by civil engineers such as 1"=20', 1"=30', 1"=40', etc. Is that correct?

Usually an architectural scale in the U.S. would be written like this... 1/4"=1'-0" (or 1/4") and not like this... 1/4. And to my knowledge there is no 1/20"=1'-0" scale.

What Dana has shown (percentages) in the image above appears to be a customization he made to his own list of frequently used scales.

What are the overall dimensions of the property you are plotting on the 24x36 sheet?

BTW...common metric scales would be indicated like this... 1:10, 1:20, 1:50, 1:100 and 1:500.

Edited by ReMark

if you are working with metric format dally,

you better startofff with one the templates named with "Metric" or ISO,

or you can set MEASUREINIT to 1,

it will tell autocad you are a metric guy.

regarding to plotting units , its up to you what paper size you select

sami: Given what the OP said in post #1 I kind of doubt he is working in metric units.

The OP didnt state he is using imperial format (you assumed that..."#6"),

anyway, any scale can be added by > scalelistedit and/or Plot>Properties>add custom paper size

if he is not using imperual units....at least he know what to tell to his fallow architects:D

sami, clean your glasses. Do any of these look like they refer to architectural metric scales?

"architectural scales like 1/4 ,3/16 1/8"

And is this a common metric size sheet of paper?

"my paper size is 36x24 inches"

Edited by ReMark

no in the units command I use architectural and then inches? and I need to draw this site plan on a 36 inces by 24 inches sheet of paper then on the plot box I am using the scale 1:1 is thjis correct?

if you draw in model space a box 480 feet xy 440 feet and lets say this is the overall site plan that I need in a 36" x 24" sheet size D architectural page what setting would you use in the units dialog box ? architectural, decimal or engineering? and the in the insertion scale inches or feet and in the plot dialog box I would choose a 36x24 size sheet and then extents and what about the scale 1:1 or 1:20 since this is the scale I want?? help

Architectural scales are used primarily to draw buildings (ex. - house floor plan). An example of an architectural scale would be 1/4"=1'-0" meaning every quarter of an inch represents one foot.

Engineering scales are typically used when drawing a piece of property which may, or may not, have a building situated on it (ex. - site plan or plot plan). An example of of an engineering scale would be 1"=40' meaning every inch is equal to 40 feet. Very large buildings can also be drawn using engineering scales.

Do you understand the difference between architectural and engineering units?

All objects drawn in model space should be done so at FULL size. It doesn't matter if the object is as small as a postage stamp or as large as Yankee Stadium. FULL size.

You do NOT draw objects "to scale" as one might do manually on a drafting board. Do you understand this?

Now, what exactly are you drawing? Is it just a building (ex. - house or store) or is it a piece of property (ex. - site plan)? If it is a site plan does it also include a building?

Please answer all questions to the best of your ability. Looks like are posts crossed paths. I see now what you are inquiring about.

Edited by ReMark

Yes, you could fit a 480'x440' building on a 24"x36" sheet of paper using an engineering scale of 1"=20'. Depends though on whether or not you are also going to include a title block and border. Are you?

I'd suggest using a layout with a viewport. If you add the scale of 1"=20' to your scale list (1 paper unit = 240 drawing units) you can then assign it to your viewport. Are you familiar with layouts and the use of viewports in a layout?

BTW...1:20 is not the same thing as saying 1"=20'.

my overall dimension of my site plan is 480 feet xy 440 feet and so how should my units be and the scale in the plot manager window be if I need to plot on a 36 inch by 24 inches size paper???

Did you see my last post?

Are you plotting directly from model space? If you are plotting directly from model space then plot using the "Window" option, make sure to check off "Center the plot" and set the plot scale to 1 inch = 240 units. Click on the Preview button and check before plotting. This assumes of course that you have already selected the printer and paper size.

By the way, I just plotted, from model space, the same size building using the method as I described on a 24x36 piece of paper and everything came out fine.