Problem with Combine feature

davidoff

I have saved a simple assembly of two parts as a part file in Solidworks. I am attempting to use the Combine tool to make the two parts one body. I do not get the option to use the Combine feature. I read somewhere that my problem is the following:

"Insert parts into an assembly as solid bodies, not as surfaces"

Exactly how do I go about doing this. When I used save as to save the assembly as a part file, I saw no such option.

Thanks in advance,

Ahmad

Ahmed, when you save an assembly as a part you have a few options. "Geometry to save:" set to Exterior Faces, Exterior Components or All Components. If you chose "Exterior Faces" you get a part file with a surface for each "part". You typically will want to select "All Components" unless you have a good reason.

You can also start a new part file and use Insert>Part to bring a part into a part file. There are also a few other ways to do this but those are probably the two most straight forward ways i could think of.