Tree Design

Madruga_SP

Another way is draw the shape extrude using path, make sure your shape is in the Y direction, use rotate3D X 90 this will stand it up then a simple array, use -vpoint 1,1,1 to see in 3d.

Screen Shot 06-17-16 at 12.42 PM.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madruga_SP

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• resullins

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's start at the beginning.

First, you should be in the 3D Modeling workspace. To do that look at the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Locate the icon that looks like a gear and click on it. Find and click on the 3D Modeling option. Note that the Ribbon at the top of your screen will now be populated by a different series of tabs and panels than one would see if in the Drafting and Annotation workspace.

This is the icon I am referring to.

WorkspaceIcon.PNG

Now I would like you to create a copy of the objects that appear in your tree.dwg. Then we are going to switch the view to SE isometric and rotate the red polyline. The result should look like this.

TreeProfilerotated.jpg

To change our view look to the Ribbon and click on the Visualize tab. Next, locate the Views panel (should be the first one on the left) and using the scrolling arrows for the different views (Top, Bottom, Left, etc.) scroll down until you find SE Isometric and click on it.

Now it's time to activate the 3DROTATE command.

Click on the Home tab and look on the Modify panel for an icon that is comprised of three circles colored red, cyan and green. It looks like this.

3DRotateIcon.PNG

Start the command. When prompted to select objects pick one of the red polylines. When prompted for a basepoint specify the bottom endpoint of the line. You should see a three circle rotation axis symbol on your screen. When prompted to select a rotation axis pick the red circle.

When prompted to select the angle start point pick on the same polyline endpoint you selected previously. When prompted to specify angle end point drag your cursor in the direction of the top of your screen and then merely click. Does your display look like the above? If so you were successful.

Let's move on shall we?

For lack of a better term, at the moment, what we want to do next is create one 3D object called a twig by sweeping a circle along the "path" of our rotated red polyline. The result should look like this.

3DTwig.jpg

First create a new layer called TWIGS and assign it color 19 (a dark brown on my computer) and set it current. Next we want to change a system variable called DELOBJ to a value of "0". The default is "3". This ensures that all defining geometry (like our red polyline) is retained. Invoke the system variable at the command line followed by pressing the Enter key. Change the value as I have indicated.

When that is done I want you to draw a circle with the center located on the bottom end of our red polyline. The radius of the circle should be .04. Next look to the Ribbon and click on the Solid tab and locate the Solid panel. You will find the SWEEP command on this panel. Invoke the command. When prompted to select object(s) pick the circle you just created. Press the Enter key to proceed to the next part of the command where you are prompted to select the sweep path. Pick on the red polyline. The result should be a circle that is swept along the entire length of this path resulting in a 3D solid looking like the image above. Were you successful?

BTW...I'm assuming you are doing all of this in a 2Dwireframe visual style. To get the same results as above you must switch your visual style to Realistic. If you click on the Home tab and go to the View panel you'll see a drop-down list for all the different visual styles that you can scroll through using the arrow to the right where the current style name appears. Got all that? I sure hope so.

Edited by ReMark

Now comes the fun part. We are going to array the single twig to create our 3D tree and we are going to do it without changing the orientation of our UCS. We can do this because we used the 3DROTATE command rather than changing our UCS previously for the purposes of rotating the red polyline. And basically, although the object we are going to array is a 3D solid the array itself is flat just like we were working on a 2D drawing.

By the way, we want to retain the short blue line that is at the bottom of our red polyline.

So, start the ARRAY command and when prompted to select objects pick the 3D twig then press Enter. You are next prompted to select the array "type". Select the POLAR option. When prompted to specify center point of array select the midpoint of the short blue line. Note that your display will change automatically...ignore it and at the command line type "I" (for Items), press the Enter key then type in 36 (the default is 6). Press the Enter key twice to get out of the command. Your result should look like this. The visual style is Realistic; view is SE isometric.

3dtree.jpg

Were you successful? If so please post an image of your 3D tree.

You can't work in 3D effectively without knowing how to reorient your UCS. There are two or three ways to accomplish the task. One way is via the command line and the UCS command. Another way is to use the Dynamic UCS feature. Or you can do it via the Ribbon but first you must be in the 3D modelling workspace. Are you utilizing the 3D modelling workspace?

Hi ReMark

yes, I'm using 3D modelling workspace.

3D model.jpg

Good. Then you should encounter no problems completing the task.

Wow!!!

Thanks my friend!!

Give some time to study your tutorial.

It will help me a lot.

I let you know my progress.

Regards

:):D

It shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes to complete.

You're entirely welcomed. Good luck. :)

I'm working in a other project right now an I have to finish it first. :(

But I'm anxious to get that drawing. :)

Thank you

It shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes to complete.

You're entirely welcomed. Good luck. :)

Thank you my friend!!

Worked perfect!! :D

Happy.jpg

Madruga well done. :)

It is easy, like most things, once you know how to do them.

If you look at the diameter near the top of the tree trunk, where there is a circular band, in the Getty Center image, you will see that there is an opening of about a metre, through which the plant grows, and by which it is supported, before spreading out across the top of the trellis.

ReMark's model is much closer to the shape shown in the picture in your first post.

Now that you understand the modeling commands needed, you should revisit post #26.

Should be very simple to remedy, given your new knowledge. :)

I did an approximation of what it might be, just a ballpark guesstimate.

Getty tree trellis sketch.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Madruga well done. :)

It is easy, like most things, once you know how to do them.

If you look at the diameter near the top of the tree trunk, where there is a circular band, in the Getty Center image, you will see that there is an opening of about a metre, through which the plant grows, and by which it is supported, before spreading out across the top of the trellis.

ReMark's model is much closer to the shape shown in the picture in your first post.

Now that you understand the modeling commands needed, you should revisit post #26.

Should be very simple to remedy, given your new knowledge. :)

I did an approximation of what it might be, just a ballpark guesstimate.

Hi Dadgad,

How are you?

You're totally right my friend, the drawing needs some changes to make it better.

And you have noticed some of them. I do like to make it better! :)

I have found other imagem, maybe help us.

I'd like to see your drawing.

Thanks

2.jpg

Madruga, there is really nothing new going on, the method ReMark described for you, and his model are very good.

I just wanted to give you a bit of direction when considering the overall scale and dimensions of your starting line, and subsequent swept solid used to create the polar array.

I went ahead and created the solid, from the dimensions I posted earlier, and created the array, as shown in the screenshot.

I guessed that the rebar used might be 5/16", and as I am working in mms, I made the circle used to define the swept solid with a radius of 4mm, for a diameter of 8mm.

The only other additional solid items will all be swept along circles of the appropriate diameters to be welded to the rest of the trellis.

The rebar hoops used at the top looks like they may be a bit smaller, perhaps 1/4", or diameter 6mms (approximately).

I would expect the two rings acting like belts which are outside, to be about 1/2" in diameter, or nominally 12mms.

I expect that the additional internal hoop in the trunk of the tree is probably also 5/16", and it looks to be at the half way point from the ground up to the larger external belts.

Trellis Tree nothing new.jpg

trellis from ground view.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Madruga, there is really nothing new going on, the method ReMark described for you, and his model are very good.

I just wanted to give you a bit of direction when considering the overall scale and dimensions of your starting line, and subsequent swept solid used to create the polar array.

I went ahead and created the solid, from the dimensions I posted earlier, and created the array, as shown in the screenshot.

I guessed that the rebar used might be 5/16", and as I am working in mms, I made the circle used to define the swept solid with a radius of 4mm, for a diameter of 8mm.

The only other additional solid items will all be swept along circles of the appropriate diameters to be welded to the rest of the trellis.

The rebar hoops used at the top looks like they may be a bit smaller, perhaps 1/4", or diameter 6mms (approximately).

I would expect the two rings acting like belts which are outside, to be about 1/2" in diameter, or nominally 12mms.

I expect that the additional internal hoop in the trunk of the tree is probably also 5/16", and it looks to be at the half way point from the ground up to the larger external belts.

Thank you very much Dadgad!

I'll try to do that. :)

My drawing.

COOL.jpg

Excellent Madruga, it certainly looks a lot truer to the images which you posted, than your earlier version. :)

Now you just need to make a few new circles for your sweep paths, and to represent the rebar diameters for your sweeps.

Don't stop now, you're starting to get the hang of it.

Excellent Madruga, it certainly looks a lot truer to the images which you posted, than your earlier version. :)

Now you just need to make a few new circles for your sweep paths, and to represent the rebar diameters for your sweeps.

Don't stop now, you're starting to get the hang of it.

Any advice to do that?

Thank you for the support! :)