• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SherryLF

• RobDraw

• rkent

• tombu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading up on layer 0 results in more questions =). So if I edit my blocks and save them on layer 0 with 3 different line weights and 3 colors in the block reference > then Once I put them on another layer and they assume that layer's properties, won't that change my line weights if the layer I'm working in has different line weights than my block reference and my blocks are set to 'by layer'? (if this is so, what's the point in using different line weights and colors in my block reference - if 's going to assume another layers' properties?

Pretty sure setting an objects lineweight will override the layer settings for lineweight.

Simply try it and see what's what.

rkent is right. It's easy enough to experiment, now that you've got a basic understanding. Assigning colors and linetypes to objects on layer 0 within the block serve as an override to the layer settings for the layer that the block is assigned to and will still turn off when that layer is turned off.

In blocks setting linework to byblock instead of bylayer gives you a little more control. The block entities on layer 0 will still take on the properties of whatever layer you place it on or move it to, but with byblock it will also take on whatever properties you set it to.

This way you can change the properties of just a selection of blocks on that layer. Block entities are what the byblock setting is for.

I know why we don't use "ByBlock", now. We use layer properties almost exclusively. Overrides by element are frowned upon with exceptions. Almost everything is "ByLayer" as a rule.

I know why we don't use "ByBlock", now. We use layer properties almost exclusively. Overrides by element are frowned upon with exceptions. Almost everything is "ByLayer" as a rule.

We use layer properties "almost" exclusively here as well. Sometimes blocks on a layer with an odd linetype or too light a color are unrecognizable though and it's nice to be able to make the drawing look any way my boss wants it to. For presentations I'm often called on to make a selection of objects bold or in color to make them stand out.

Except for special requests objects in my drawings rarely have property overrides as I use Layer States extensively, but having byblock set for block entities would limit my ability to do whatever's asked of me.

First - I just want to say thank you for hanging in there with my questions.

Could you look at these attached images.

I've gone into the block to start editing it as we discussed....

When I go into the editor - the block appears to be on layer 0 but if I click on one of the lines, that line is on PM....(which I was going to change to layer 0 with a lineweight change to get the same effect) ...

The initial layer 0 is confusing me as I 'thought' the block was drawn on those other layers that I had to turn off in my drawing. Will you explain the differences in these two images? Why is the initial block already set up on layer 0 (or is it?) since its actually drawn on pm (and the other layers)

lay 0.jpg

pm line.jpg

Edited by SherryLF
duplicated the images - needed only 1 copy

In blocks setting linework to byblock instead of bylayer gives you a little more control. The block entities on layer 0 will still take on the properties of whatever layer you place it on or move it to, but with byblock it will also take on whatever properties you set it to.

This way you can change the properties of just a selection of blocks on that layer. Block entities are what the byblock setting is for.

Good stuff - thanks. Seemingly a lot of this stuff should be common sense but it's not initially.

Why is this?

SherryLF - RE: post 31. first image you haven't selected anything yet, you are simply on layer 0. Use a crossing window to select all the objects, pick on the layer setting and pick 0. Now the objects are on layer 0.

Ok, so it sounds like that if I make a block with 3 different line weights in layer 0 that I need to define using it by block in order to keep my assigned line weights (is this correct)? Otherwise, it will change to the layer line weight - I am testing it out. But this is my hypothesis.