Updating Blocks

Bhutchcst

I am currently using Autocad 2004. I have a bunch of drawings with blocks already inserted into them. I constantly need to update these blocks because the source file keeps changing. Is there any way for Autocad to do this automatically? With a LISP or something? Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Ye Olde XREF. Any change to the source file is updated as soon as the drawing is opened or the XRefs are reloaded. I don't remember too many major problems with Xrefs in 04, does anyone else?

No problem. Just remember to bind them if you reach a point where they should no longer update (sealed plans for example). This will let you convert them back into regular blocks.

Right click the xref in the External References Manager, select bind, select insert. I know that works 2006+ but my memory is foggy back to 04

Well now the problem I'm having is once these Xrefs are in the drawing, I'd like to be able to freeze some layers that are in the xrefs. It doesn't seem to work unless I freeze each one individually.