proper cursor is not displaying and/or is disappearing

ammobake

I'm now using Autocad 2009 here at work. I'm trying to draw 3 fairly simple objects in 3d. for some reason, sometimes when I try to create a pline or 3d polyline in this drawing the cursor isn't even there but the arrow still is. Sometimes the cursor/arrow simply disappears in model space but then reappears when it is dragged over the toolbars and buttons. I can sit in autocad and drag the arrow around and it will only appear when it is not in model space.

My mouse software is closed in the taskbar to prevent it from interfering with autocad in any way (I had that happen at home to where I can only zoom with the mousewheel if I close it). The file is 4.64 MB in size (big for our drawings here at work but still not huge enough to cause these kinds of problems I wouldn't think). There is nothing else in 3d in the drawing, only 2d lines and polylines and some dimensions.

I've already tried running an audit to fix any errors but it didn't fix the problem.

I also tried switching over to the default 3d workspace but the cursor still disappears when it touches the black model space box.

I am using the default X,Y,Z UCS with no changes. Everything is as it was before when I drew them.

In one of my sheets in paper space i have isometric views set up with each view having its own viewport. The page loads relatively slowly but I didnt have any problems earlier. I also tried closing autocad and loading the file before I started having problems.

-ChriS

I just tried closing the file and opening another and when i do that the cursors act properly and all show up like they're supposed to. It seems to only do wierd things in that one drawing file in 3d after I use 3d orbit. Any help would be appreciated.

-ChriS

Just thought I would give an update (others might be having this same problem).

I believe the issue is viewport related.. Here's why..

Let's say you have a sheet with 12 viewports.. When you double click inside one of the viewports, obviously you will be transferred to model space and be able to manipulate the positioning of the viewport with relation to model space (unless the viewport is locked).

I, myself, love to lock my viewports after my drawings are set up just because it prevents anyone from dragging and/or moving around stuff in my drawing afterward. It also prevents inadvertant dragging when you are trying to double-click on the viewport itself.

It seems that, by default, when you enter a viewport's model space and then switch sheets the viewport will remain open to model space.

In other words...

Let's say you have 2 sheets set up in paper space..

In one of the sheets, you double click a viewport and enter model space. If you leave the viewport open to model space and switch over to the other drawing, the viewport on the previous sheet will remain open to model space..

I think where the problem lies is that sometimes in drawings with LOTS of sheets you can have viewports on some of those sheets still looking into model space. For whatever reason, I think this is causing some kind of either memory loss or internal conflicts with autocad itself.. To the point that when you click on that old model space tab in your drawing the cursors start to not show up as they should in model space altogether..

I started having the problem again today until I noticed that some of my locked viewports were still looking into model space on 2 or 3 of my sheets. When I finally realized what was going on and put all my viewports back to paperspace, the problem went away.

-ChriS