feature mirror question

jkristia

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this, but I just can't find it right now.

The question is how do I mirror a feature and suppress the 'source' feature. Im drawing the side walls for a wall cabinet and I would like to define the left and right side in the configuration and then simply mirror the grove on the back from left to right. I know of course that I can save the cut as a sketch block then create a second sketch with the block mirrored and then suppress the left feature, but isn't there another way to do this ?

Jesper

When you have the mirror dialog open there is an option to copy part(i think, i dont have it in front of me). i I think if you uncheck this box, it will just create a new part. Do you still need the old feature for something?

yes I forgot to mention, this is 2008 Student Edition.

I just noticed you said "option to copy part", are you referring to mirror a component in an assembly?.

What I was trying to do was to create the features for the left configuration, then mirror them and then suppress the left side feature and expose only the right side. But as soon as I suppress the left side (source side) then mirror feature becomes suppressed too.

In my case it is not a big deal at all since it is only a matter of 3 cuts I need to mirror, so I created a block of the sketch and use the block on the left and right side. But I'm curious in case you have multiple complex features and you need to create a mirrored configuration, but maybe for that you would use the mirror component in the assembly.

ahhhh, I should have checked help more closely before I asked.

Seems like "mirror part" does exactly what I was looking for.

---- this is from help ----

Mirror Part creates a mirrored version of an existing part. This is a good way to create a left-hand version and a right-hand version of a part. Because the mirrored version is derived from the original version, the tw

o parts always match.

doesnt that still link them so when one is suppressed the other is turned off as well? For your question, i was referring to the mirror dialog box using mirror feature or you could also mirror the sketch used to create them.

When I have left-right versions I finish the entire part… then mirror the BODY.

Uncheck “Merge” so you have 2 separate bodies. Delete the first body so you just have opposite part. Configure that.

Activate the original config and suppress the mirror.

Left Right.jpg