Draftsight Professional is now available.

ReMark

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet or not but Dassault Systemes, makers of Solidworks, and the free 2D CAD program called Draftsight have now released Draftsight Professional with a host of new features. While not free the $99 U.S. cost is quite a bargain given what they have included in the program. Check out the new features here...

http://www.draftsightprofessional.com/professionalfeatures/?id=engtips

Not bad at all. Surely some competition on the 2d side. The logic would be customers paying a certain price of 3d and Lisp capabilities with AutoCAD..

I received an email about this. Apparently the $99 pricing ends on Saturday 12/31. After that, they say the price will be going up. They don't say in the email what the price will be after Saturday, but when I checked their website, it appears the cost might be $299? But I'm a little confused because it also says that Draftsight Professional is a subscription product with a fee of $99 per year, so I'm not sure exactly what they're doing?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Long time no see. I was quite a busy these 2-3 years (last BabaCAD released 2014 I think). I've prepared a new, advanced version of my software. It's BabaCAD 2017, modern designed, now 64-bit, multiple document interface, ribbon, dynamic input, auto-complete commands, spline objects (2D/3D), lisp script customization, more tools, 3D ready (lines, splines, 3D polylines, 3D orbit, left, right, perspective views). It's not yet full 3D solid modeling enabled, but I'm still working. Screenshot and short introduction video is available on BabaCAD official website or YouTube (just type BabaCAD 2017).

Launch event planned for April 2017. I'm available to organize it anywhere in Europe (for now it's planned to take place in Sarajevo, April 3rd), so if anyone interested... it would be great.

Best regards

Mirza

P.S. I forgot to mention that BabaCAD is still 100% A-Free (Absolutely Free). No registration, no ads, no nag-screens. Download size is still

Pretty amazing. Thanks. So how do you pay for all this? Are you independently wealthy?

Thanks, ReMark. I must admit it's rarely asked to me, but in fact situation is quite opposite. I have a job, but salary is enough only to pay the bills and food monthly. I'm an engineer but engineer salary in Bosnia is low. But I'm satisfied what I have. I have two beautiful kids and reasonable wife :) I love to program engineering software (it's in my nature) and I try to use every spare minute to work on BabaCAD, robotics, electronics...

Truth is, that BabaCAD can beat even AutoCAD (draftsight is already beaten), but more developers must be involved, and it is necessary to invest in marketing. No one wants to program for free, investors hate Bosnia, so.... what to say. I'm still alone in this project, but who knows.....

If anyone has 6,000 $US and doesn't know what to do, go invest in BabaCAD :) to include dwg library and give world support for newer dwg versions read/write (currently BabaCAD supports dwg

Edited by sepultura

So BabaCAD was written entirely from the ground up and not based on IntelliCAD?

Two beautiful children. You are blessed. And a reasonable wife? I'm pretty sure those are in short supply everywhere in the world! LOL

I am surprised to hear you can't get anyone to invest in your program. It's intellectual property so it's not like they are investing in a hotel or a business that is in one fixed place and subject to the whims of man (ex. - political upheaval or war).

It's not based on anything. I programmed it in c++ Visual Studio 2010 (I had to pay about 1,000 $US for Visual Studio 2010 Pro). I still program in VS 2010 and if you saw introduction video you must admit it's still modern looking.

About investors. I think no one wants to invest cause I'm in Bosnia, and every investors avoid Bosnia, which is politically and economically unstable country. Also, there a many rich people here, but they don't know nothing about CAD and they don't know how hard is to develop CAD software.

I already have something on Android. just type BabaGIS on Play Store (it's free also). That's BabaCAD mobile upgraded with oracle conectivity, so users can edit GIS data directly on Oracle Spatial or Locator. I think this is the only mobile solution in the world to work on Oracle spatial data directly on mobile, and free also.

I can get paid from BabaCAD also, but I'm not hungry for money, and I know that I need a lot of money to invest in marketing, to compete Draftsight, AutoCAD, ZWCAD....