• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• wonderpriya

• lrm

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They were both. In the classes at took at the community college I tried to help those around me who might be struggling although I was very competitive with another classmate when it came to advanced 3D. We actually taught the instructor a few things even he didn't know.

I wouldn't go that far. I've got a few more years experience and have worked in more different disciplines than you however. You're still a student so that is to be expected.

I mentioned how to craw an isometric circle in a previous post. It is pretty straightforward. Just remember to use the correct isoplane.

The image below shows a box with dimensions of 2x2x2. The three circles shown were drawn using the ELLIPSE command and its ISOCIRCLE option. The white isocircle was drawn using the Isoplane Top orientation. The red isocircle on the front of the box was drawn using the Isoplane Right orientation while the green isocircle on the side was drawn using the Isoplane Left orientation (the orientation of the crosshaits is changed via the F5 function key). All three isocircles have a radius of 1.

IsoCircles.JPG

What is not shown are the three temporary construction lines (one on each face) used to locate the center of each isocircle. I could have also used the command modifier named MTP or M2P to locate the center of an isocircle transparently during the execution of the Ellipse command when the user is prompted to "Specify center of isocircle:". Either way is acceptable.

Edited by ReMark

In a 2d isometric do you have to show the inner walls?

Judging by examples I've seen you could show all four exterior walls and the view would be similar to just removing the roof and looking inside. On the other hand, I have seen isometric interior views similar to what you have done where two walls have been removed to get a better view. But you still have to show all the windows and doors that exist on the two exterior walls you have drawn plus any interior walls for rooms inside the restaurant like the kitchen, bathrooms, etc. Then you have to include any furniture, equipment, etc. inside the restaurant as well. That's a lot of work to do in a very short time span.

Do you have to do this in AutoCAD? Do you know anything about SketchUp?

Check out this interior isometric view of a cafe by Emily Miller. This is a good example of what an interior designer should be capable of doing.

EmilyMiller Interior IsoView.JPG

Can you share with us the exact wording of the project assignment? I'd be curious as to how much leeway the student is given.

Just seeing if your course also included exposure to something like SketchUp that is used quite extensively to create 3D presentation drawings by many architectural firms and interior design companies.

Regarding the drawing, I'm not quite sure what to say.

What are the rectangular objects that sit in front of a table with a single chair?

Are the objects with the concentric circles on them supposed to be stove tops?

Yeah they are stove tops. Which rectangular objects? How do you control rotation in autocad. In the 2d isometric I'm trying to rotate the 4-seater tables along the plane of the floor so they will be aligned differently from the 6-seater tables but its rotating in the wrong plane. How do I do that? This is how it looks now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2v8y6ezcjmuuqkb/intermediate.dwg?dl=0

"Which rectangular objects?" The ones that you applied a hatch pattern to. It appears each has a table and a single chair in front of it.

"How do you control rotation in autocad." Normally via the Rotate command but since you are drawing a 2D isometric this won't work. You'll just have to redraw it to show the different orientation.

I have some comments/questions regarding the objects shown below....

RestaurantReview1.jpg

1. These are the objects I previously asked you about.

2. These tables are incorrectly drawn. The legs are 7" square and too short and the tabletop is 8" thick.

3. These tables have legs and a tabletop that are just single lines. How thick is the tabletop? Are the legs round or square and what size are they?

Even in a 2D isometric your objects should be drawn to real world sizes.

Where are the walls surrounding the kitchen?

Where are the wall surrounding the bathrooms?

This is why I suggested drawing a fully developed floor plan first. It shouldn't have taken you more than four hours to do it given the simplicity of your design concept.

By the way, some of your linework is sloppy. In several places lines overlap while in other places there are gaps. You also have overlapping objects where the object that is supposed to be in front does not block the view of a portion of the object that is behind it. This must always be taken into consideration when creating a 2D isometric. Also consider using layers to distinguish different features of your drawing. The walls of the building, most of the chairs and tables, and the stove tops are all the same color. There is no real distinction between different objects.

Edited by ReMark

The rectangular objects with the hatch are cabinets. I'll rectify the mistakes you have pointed out. Also how do I draw the ellipse in 2d isometric? It is coming out in the wrong plane. I need to draw ellipse for the toilet.

I'm not understanding the whole cabinet thing. I thought this was supposed to be a restaurant?

Drawing an ellipse in isometric view explained here.

https://www3.ul.ie/~rynnet/keanea/iso2.htm

If you do a search you'll also find a video entitled "How to draw an ellipse in isometric drawing..." It's a little over six minutes long.

He said there should be administration blocks, manager, housekeeping, accounts, clerical staff, maintainenece dept. How do I have all that in a restaurant? Could you give me the link to "How to draw an ellipse in isometric drawing". I'm not understanding how to draw ellipse. Should I draw a rectangle first?

He said there should be administration blocks, manager, housekeeping, accounts, clerical staff, maintainenece dept. How do I have all that in a restaurant?

Most likely he was referring to the hotel not the restaurant. I could see having a manager's office in the restaurant and maybe a room for employees to change from their street clothes to their uniforms.

Re: isometric ellipse. For what you are doing I'd say the following method, given the accuracy of your drawing, would suffice.

While in isometric mode draw a rectangle (do not use the Rectangle command to do this) using a single continuous polyline. Start the Pedit command and when prompted to select the polyline pick somewhere on the rectangle. From the list of options that appears on the command line choose Spline by typing the letter "S" at the command line then pressing the Enter key. The results should be similar to that shown below.

SplineTime.JPG

It may take you a couple of tries to set the size you need but this method is the quickest and easiest one I know of.

Edited by ReMark

ReMark,

First off I want to commend you for the thorough and patient guidance you have provided wonderpriya. You have really gone up and beyond normal forum support. Many kudos to you.

As for creating isometric “circles”, that is 2D ellipses for isometric drawings, I tried your pedit-polyline-spline approach and got the following. Note, I made sure the spline was closed.

pedit-spline.JPG

I think a better, and much easier approach is to create an ellipse with the Isocircle option with a diameter of 1.0. Then make two copies of the ellipse and rotate the first copy by 60° and the second copy by 240°. You can then copy and scale the ellipse by the value needed (the effective diameter) and place it where you want.

3-iso-circles.JPG

As for reducing the file size and making the drawing more efficient, I would emphasize to the OP to use BLOCKS for the definition of furniture items. Whether a table or chair is a number of faces or a solid model using blocks is much more effective. Unlike groups, Blocks store the definition of an object only once. Therefore, each instance is low overhead as all that is stored for each instance is the location, scale and orientation of the block not its geometry. A drawing with 10 instances of a complex block will only be about 5% larger than a drawing with only 1 instance not 10 times larger. Not only will the file size be much smaller the user can make changes much easier. For example, if the style of a chair or other piece of furniture needs to be changed, the user only needs to redefine the block and all the instances are automatically updated. I am sure you understand this but I don’t think the OP is aware of the benefits of blocks.

~Lee

Irm: Your kind words are much appreciated.

I'm not sure what you did differently than I did but before posting the image above (as proof) I tested the suggested technique...twice. Your suggestion works just as well and will probably prove to be more accurate. The OP is encouraged to try both methods and choose what works best given his particular circumstances.

As regards blocks I could not agree with you more. However, I think what the OP might have done is downloaded mesh blocks and from what I have seen these tend to have a much greater file size than a comparable block comprised of a solid.

A combination of factors may have led to the 5MB+ file size the OP was dealing with originally and his lack of knowledge of 3D along with a tight deadline may have led him to make some hasty decisions regarding his approach to the project. Had he sought help sooner I think he may have had better results.