Vista & Acad 2000i ?

cameron

Have you investigated the "Compatability Mode" options available in Vista? Maybe do a search on Microsoft's website about that feature. Sorry, I don't have Vista but I have indeed heard of others that have successfully run older versions of Autocad on it.

I don't know about 2000i, but have read of people getting 2006/2006 going:

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cadopolis.com/autocad/they-say-autocad-will-not-run-on-vista-.shtm

Open up c:\ -> Program Files -> AutoCAD 2006, then right-click on acad.exe, choose properties, open up Compatibility tab, click the button near the bottom labeled "Show Settings for All Users", accept UAC, check box labeled "Run this program as an Administrator", click OK, check box again labeled "Run this program as an Administrator", click OK and close explorer.

Now whenever you launch AutoCAD UAC prompts you to accept it, and you have to hit "run program" but CAD launches.

===========================================

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1170677&SiteID=1

Here's another one for you guys. So i got ArchDesktop 2006 to run fine by clicking compatibility and running as administrator.

The only problem i have arises when i connect my laptop to my company's network. (By being physically in the office and plugging myself in via an ethernet cable) For some reason windows explorer can see our office's network shares (after providing the appropriate credentials) and other programs such as photoshop can open files on these network shares, however when i try to open a file on the network from within AutoCAD i'm told i dont have the right to access the network. Even though i'm in the admin group on my laptop and after right-clicking and checking run as admin in the compatibility tab. This is after i've already confirmed that i can see and open all other files on the network shares from standard windows explorer as well as from other programs.

I think its a UAC issue because as soon as i disable admin approval mode i have access to the shares. I've gone through the standard user analyzer tool, and have tried implementing the mitigations its suggested, but nothing has worked so far. I know Autodesk doesn't plan on releasing a patch anytime soon (its nice to have a monopoly in the CAD industry) so i thought i could shim it into working.

Can anyone help? Or point me in the right direction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I've tried a few things since i posted the above this morning. I've established that the program behaves normally and does connect to network shares when UAC (via turning off admin approval mode) is turned off.

Now, with UAC on, i killed the explorer.exe process (via taskmanager) opened up a command prompt by right clicking it and running it as admin and then restarted explorer.exe from there, in the hopes that i would get an explorer process which had inherited the elevated token from the command prompt parent. This allowed me to start cad normally without the elevation prompt since i was already running an elevated token, but unfortunately this wouldn't allow me to connect to the network share.

Using the SUA many of the errors i get are due to the fact that CAD calls for the BUILT_IN admin account upon launch. Is there any shim that can be applied through ACT 5 that would allow CAD or trick it into thinking that its writing to the BUILT_IN admin account? Or a shim that would effectively turn off UAC on a per program basis? (I'm guessing not since any change to UAC, or admin approval mode specifically, requires a restart.) The standard Run as Administrator check box fixes most problems with the program, in fact the only problem i have beyond those that can be fixed with RunasAdmin is this network one. And a few redraw errors which can be fixed with Disabling desktop composition.

Also if this is of importance, i'm not trying to get this network feature to work under a standard user account, rather i'm trying to get it to work on an admin account under admin approval mode.

Hi Cameron

I trust you are well and in good spirits. I upgrade to windows vista and was running 2006 but found vista had a paddy when it came to play ball with 2006 so after consulting Autodesk web site and was told no chance of running with vista I up graded to 2008.

Checkout Autodesk web site if I was you.

All the best and look after yourself.

Regards Alan

I just ran an upgrade to Windows Vista and it keeps shutting down my Acad 2000i...

You are asking for a program that was written in 1999/2000 to run on an O/S that was released in 2007.

You might try some of the tips listed here, but don't expect any help from Autodesk. BTW: You may still be able to upgrade via the legacy program, see: http://www.autodesk.com/legacy

Hi Team

The only version of AutoCAD to run with vista is 2008 with a patch for 2007 being made available soon but don’t hold your breath for patches being made available for earlier versions and that’s strait from the horses mouth i.e. Autodesk.

Regards Alan

Some people just don't like to let go of their AutoCAD program no matter how old it is. Can't blame them in a way as the cost to do so plus the decrease in productivity while trying to learn the new features can be burdensome.

Just today we had a vendor ask us if we could send him a design for scrubber system, originally from his company and editted by us with AutoCAD 2007, in R14 format! That predates R2000i by a couple of years doesn't it?

Guest Alan Cullen

What the hell.........

I'll come into this....

Our Acad dealer has advised us to steer clear of vista,

He said staight out that there are massive problems with vista and acad.

He also said that XP will be around for a long time. MS will eventually learn that they don't control the market......something I wish AutoCad would realise.

My $0.02..... :)

Some people just don't like to let go of their AutoCAD program no matter how old it is. Can't blame them in a way as the cost to do so plus the decrease in productivity while trying to learn the new features can be burdensome.

...and that is fine. I don't have a problem with that. Just don't go out and load up a bleeding edge operating system if you are going to use a dinosaur version of AutoCAD.

Why not keep WinNT or Win2000 around and run your R14, R2000 on that, and then pick up a new box at Wally World to run Vista on....

You could even run a dual log system if you really wanted to run Vista.

Just log on to XP/2K when you wanted to run autocad.

I agree with Alan.

Why would anybody even think of using Vista at this stage.

I think it's crazy even thinking of using it untill it's proven it's ok.

That should be around a year. Nutting wrong with XP Pro, for now at least. If it's not broken don't try and fix it.

Just my 4 cents worth.

D

rkmcswain:

An excellent idea (dual-boot system). When I asked our IS department if they would support a dual-boot system they looked at me as though I had three eyes. Well, I do have three eyes, but that wasn't the point. They will not support anything outside of the "norm". You should hear some of the questions I get when I spec a CAD system. I believe they think I'm subversive. Got to be careful...Black-Ops. Know what I mean? Hush, hush, top secret, and all that.

Tried on weekend load company A2005.

Nope, only fully supported version is 2008 and patches will be available this month for 2007. No magic.

• 1 year later...

Hi, i put Autocad 2000 in Vista home basic and it seems it is working well, i did the same as when i installed it on XP, right click on the setup icon and change the compatibility with Windowss NT (or Windows 2000), do not remember well, just try the two solutions!

hope it helps!

• 1 month later...
I just ran an upgrade to Windows Vista and it keeps shutting down my Acad 2000i... Does anyone know if these can be compatible?

It has and will but why it operated correctly for two days after it had consistantly failed then is now failing again - I don't Know!

Prior to the upgrade of Vista - 2000i ran OK

• 11 months later...

I ran just fine (with script error for the I (internet) portion till upgrading vista pro via windows upgrade up to sp-2

was hoping you could share your results or solution for the issue you had. working on a standalone machine no network.

this when run as administrator:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: acad.exe

Application Version: 21.0.5.90

Application Timestamp: 39449a88

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00047dd2

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: b469

Additional Information 2: 2fa70d9f8ad9af3f79d9c507634d6c24

Additional Information 3: 399f

Additional Information 4: aa2becd9c111b14cf14ced366ccc7f86

any help is appreciated as I need to genertae some sketches soon. Thanks

REE

mespinoza:

Might I suggest that you post your question as a new one. You'll get more replies. You might also want to provide some further details. Were you trying to get Vista Pro (?) to recognize and run AutoCAD 2000i?