Turn off Xref snapping

samifox

hi

i have very lazzy xref that i want to redraw,

is there a way to turn off snapping to that xref? its dwg

Thanks

S

RobDraw

Not without turning off OSnaps entirely.

Dana W

If you have a command active F3 suppresses object snaps. It's the best i've been able to come up with.

You can press and hold F3 while cursoring over the xref with an active command, like Pline, then let it go when you're ready to snap, but that can be a bit tedious.

Now, if your attachment is a pdf, then there is a button on the xref ribbon to turn snaps on or off in the pdf, but there is not one for an attached dwg. The button may not be there at all in 2010, don't know.

Cad64

I wouldn't typically recommend doing this, but if you want to disable snapping to your xref, put it on layer Defpoints and then freeze layer 0. This will make the xref unselectable and you won't be able to snap to it.

It is not good practice to put anything on layer Defpoints though, so I only mention this as a temporary workaround. Once you're finished, thaw layer 0 and move your xref off the Defpoints layer. ;)

SLW210

It's not bad practice if the effects are intended.

It's only not recommended now, because there is another way to have non-plot layers, it once was standard operating procedure. I still run across lots of drawings with Viewports on Defpoints, some aren't that old, either. :facepalm: