Please help: multiple layers and line thicknesses for a dynamic block

bosshoss

I'm looking to create a dynamic block that has the capabilities to select multiple layers and thicknesses to it, I'm using AutoCAD 2008. I work as an electrical draftsperson working with designing and drafting substations, and can't seem to figure out how to do this. I deal with tons of different voltages and they all are represented with different thicknesses in our single line diagrams.

I think I understand the way the visibility parameters work, so I was able to create a dynamic block to accomplish the different thicknesses.

What I want to know is how to associate each visibility parameter with a specific layer. In the block editor there doesn't seem to be an option to assign a layer to each parameter. I have attached the block to this post. This block has only 2 thicknesses, but there will be more as soon as I can figure out the layer issue I'm having.

I hope someone can help me or guide me to a thread or post where this has been discussed.

Someone was telling me that AutoCAD 2010 works way better with dynamic blocks, but we won't be getting it for a while.

dynamic_CT_example.dwg

Visibility states do not control the properties of entities in dynamic blocks, merely if that part is visible or not. to change layers via visibility states you would need to create duplicates of the object for each layer. Perhaps you could set up some entities' lineweights as ByBlock, some as ByLayer, and ones that shouldn't change set to a constant. I'm guessing this really isn't the answer you wated to hear, but unfortunately dynamic blocks will typically allow a glimpse at some tantalizing possibilities but just don't have all the functionality to deliver.

You can make a layer for each voltage, in this case make one for low voltage and another for High voltage, and while your in block editor "visibility high voltage" you select the thick lines and put them on the high voltage layer. then switch to visibility low voltage and select the thin lines to put them on the low voltage layer!

The problem is when your in model space and select the block you cant see in wich layer it is. but you can turn of the high voltage circuits if you only want to see the low voltage parts or other way around.