Boundary vs. Union for drawing outlines

magwea

Ok, i looked into this a bit more over the weekend, unfortunately some confusion remains.

The attachment shows six isometric drawings, i tried to get the outline of each using boundary (worked for 5 out of the 6) and region (didn't work at all).

Looking closer at the boundary example: AC was not able to form a polyline and instead created a region every time, these created regions are different then those AC created using just the region command from the beginning; turning off island selection resulted in varied results, AC didn't recognize pick points although i'm certain they were correct; AC failed to find the outline of one object completely using boundary, i think this was because of the spline, is boundary not able to turn these into polylines or regions. Can anyone clarify why it went so wrong?

When trying to get the outline it seems that anything that isn't a line is going to bring up problems; arcs, circles, ellipse, polylines and especially splines are troublesome. boundary is a great command but is very CPU hungry, when i gave it more complex drawings it either took for ages or crashed, region + union seems to be more friendly Is there a way around this?

I'm confused, anyone help, much appreciated.

When boundary, region, union fails -SPLINE.dwg