Suggestions for Gun Textures

MisterRender

I am creating a model of a machine gun and i need some good textures for a black gun. What i need is a matte black and a few other shades of black that would go good on a gun.

Its really my first model that ive done outside of my Comp drawing and design class. (im only 14)

heres the model without textures

unfinishedgun.png

Hey there Mister Render. Welcome to the forum. :)

That's a pretty nice looking gun. Was that done entirely in Autocad?

Take a look at our Good Sites for Free Materials thread which provides many links to sites that offer free materials. The very first one in the list is cgtextures.com. This is my favorite site for materials. I always go there first whenever I need something. Take a look around their "Metal" section. What I usually do is grab 3 or 4 textures and then composite them in Photoshop to get the right look and insure that they will tile correctly. You can then make variations of your texture by playing with the adjustment controls.

Good luck, and be sure to post your rendered image once you get it finished. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment on the gun, and yes, it was done entirely in AutoCAD, with the help of some crafty sweeps and extrudes.:wink:

I dont have photoshop, but i assume that Gimp will work well too.

EDIT: The texture site seems like it could be very helpful, ill look for some good textures there

EDIT2: Whats the best way to apply the textures? normally i would apply one of the normal textures to the gun like laquer, then go to the material editor window and find the texture and set the diffuse map to whatever picture i want. but that doesnt really show any detail that i want, it just uses the general color of the picked texture. when i want to position the texture how i want it on the object i use planar mapping mostly. or whater works best for the object.

whats the best way to apply the material or texture?

I am creating a model of a machine gun and i need some good textures for a black gun. What i need is a matte black and a few other shades of black that would go good on a gun.

Its really my first model that ive done outside of my Comp drawing and design class. (im only 14)

heres the model without textures

unfinishedgun.png

definitely for the metal parts of the gun you want to use the correct material which would be "gun Metal" it is a slightly blueish tint, near the black side of things.

Just an update: I am still working on the gun and am expirementing with several materials. Ill post some pictures soon, and thanks for all the advice!

Im still working on the gun, i need some help finding some good metal textures with slight rust, I tried GIMPing a texture but im not skilled enough with photo editing, I want my gun to look a little worn down, heres a picture of what im going for.

notice the paint scratching off on the magazine especially? dos anyone know how to acheive this effect?

fh_stg44.jpg

not sure how to get paint-chipping/scratching effect, but if i had to guess, i'd say that you'd have to make a custom skin. the skins will change slightly with how you drew the part (dimensions, shapes, etc). it all depends on how exactly you draw the part and what exact effect you want.

as far as a "brand-new, out of the box" look, did you try changing your layer colors? that would give you the matte finish and you could pick any shade of black you want.

Later,

Andy