Help with 2&1/2D modelling of a dining chair and a cupboard

timdanger

Hey guys :)

I kinda feel overwhelmed with this project of mine. I got into this course which was for experienced AutoCAD users, which is way beyond my skills point :) So I would really appreciate it if you help me out with something, whatever-thing in terms of a plan or directions in designing the model of the dining chair and the cupboard in the scene below. I managed to make the table since it doesn't contain any curves, but doesn't know where to start the chair from. It has to be mainly constructed with EXTRUDE and REVOLVE. I am working with AutoCAD 2002. The chair is from the image without the cupboard, and the cupboard is of course from the image with, you guessed right, the cupboard :)

Well, thanks to anyone for their time and consideration :)

Scene_Example.jpgImage8.jpg

Be good 8)

:huh: Why did you sign up for an advanced course, when you clearly need to be taking a beginners course?

And why is this "Advanced" course using such old outdated software? Autocad 2002? :?

To create the curved back legs, you will need to draw the leg profile and then EXTRUDE it.

To create the curved back, you will again need to draw profiles and then REVOLVE them.

Have you checked your Autocad Help files for information on Extrude and Revolve? :unsure:

Well it was just a big misunderstanding and I can't do anything about it. I know how to work with those commands, it's just the way of using them. Like drawing the back leg with extruding a rectangle along a curved path, i'm just not sure which is the best way to do it. Revolving the back and then digging in the rectangle holes or... It's just those construction things that are bothering me, since I don't have the expirience with 3D modeling. And I have no idea why are we using the 2k2 version... maybe to do the things on our own and not use the advantages of the new ones :) who knows...

I know how to work with those commands, it's just the way of using them. ...since I don't have the expirience with 3D modeling.

I would find a tutor since it sounds like you don't really know how to work with the commands and it sounds like you are in a course which assumes this experience.

And I have no idea why are we using the 2k2 version...

My guess is the school cannot afford a more recent version. But this is a very old release. In computer technology terms - really ancient technology. I would talk to the Dean of the school, I would not pay tuition to ancient technology unless it is a history course. I would be concerned about attending a school that could not afford more up-to-date technology. Any other reason that I can think of why they might be stuck on 2k2 is more of a concern than the cost consideration.

Students can download the latest Autodesk 3D products for free from http://engineersrule.org

I think I'm going to try those chairs too... seems a good exercice for me!

But those on the left picture are not the same as the ones on the right, or am I seeing wrong?

Well, yes indeed, they are :) The thing is that I need the cupboard for the whole scene, so I have to draw the type of chairs and table from the picture on the right and the cupboard from the other one... But still they are almost the same so I guess it's not much of a difference to draw either one

What strikes me most, other than the fact the school is stuck on AC 2002, is that you've been asked to draw the dining room set based on a photograph and no dimensions. Every student's version of this will be different. How does the teacher grade this?

Regarding the software you're using. I'd talk to the teacher and suggest he/she get in touch with someone at AutoDesk and see what programs the school might be eligible to participate in. I can't believe the school could not upgrade to a more recent version.

Tim:

Following up on what I mentioned previously re: talking to your teacher (let the teacher talk to the administration). Tell your teacher to go to the AutoDesk website. At the first web page click on the heading that says Purchase then below that click on Education. Look on the left-hand side of the next screen. Your choices are:

Higher Learning

K-12

Students

Instructor Resources

Customer Stories

News & Events

How to Buy

Related Information:

Education Communities

Click on Instructor Resources, for example, and you'll find the following:

Curriculum Development

Partners in Education

Courseware

Training

This is but a small sample of what is available to teachers and students at AutoDesk. Someone, your teacher perhaps, should look into this and take full advantage of everything AutoDesk has to offer.

Ok, here's my attempt, hope it works with the jpg attached...

Chair_1.jpg

Chair_2.jpg

Really, it was not easy without any dimensions - everytime I re-opened the drawing I found something that "didn't look like it should". And I'm still not happy with the back of the chair... that arc didn't as I'd like to...:x

The pillow is also too small, it should reach the edges (I should have scaled it a bit). Materials and lights... well, my biggest problem!

Corrections and suggestions are obviously very welcome!

Ok, here's my attempt, hope it works with the jpg attached...

[ATTACH]9678[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9679[/ATTACH]

Really, it was not easy without any dimensions - everytime I re-opened the drawing I found something that "didn't look like it should". And I'm still not happy with the back of the chair... that arc didn't as I'd like to...:x

The pillow is also too small, it should reach the edges (I should have scaled it a bit). Materials and lights... well, my biggest problem!

Corrections and suggestions are obviously very welcome!

sir nice chair...

quick question how did you create the arc like back of the chair?

what command and what kind of method...

if its okay with you can you post a pick? id really like to learn how to create one..

Looks good. Now that chair looks rather lonely, so it needs its table. :wink:

I tried to help, but I guess it feels lonelier now!! :shock:

Chairs.jpg

Seriously, thank you for the nice comments and feel free to give me also some advice / corrections to improve it (e.g. how to soften those sharp shadows...)

Arjun_samar, concerning your question:

After defining some general construction lines, I have drawn the profile of the back with two SPLINEs (I believe it is not a regular bow in the original chair). Then I had to convert the two SPLINEs in a surface and I extruded it on an horizontal bow. The whole back of the chair is a SLICE of this resulting solid (except the stick further down). You might understand me better with a screenshot of my construction lines (look at the pink lines)... a bit chaotic, I admit!

(By the way, I'm a "miss" :wink:)

Chair_3.jpg