Creating elements that represent openings in walls and slabs

Siberian

A company we're doing a job for require me to place elements that represent voids through walls and slabs where pipes/ducts pass through so that these are displayed in the IFC model. Openings often vary in size and shape, so how would I go about achieving this?

Just create a simple family. Here's my "wall opening" family. It's instance based and has 12" clearance zone on both sides of the openings front and back in a transparent red color to indicate a no-fly zone. It's a Duct Accessory. Simple, works well. I'll upload if you want. 

image.png.6877bf78df1931195400c37c4f35e613.png

I also concluded that family creation was the way to go. I've been working on something similar to yours the last couple of hours. As it's my first family design it's a bit try and fail, but I'm getting there. I went for a tube shape but I'll probably need a rectangular one as well. My latest issue is that I'm not able to rotate my "opening" to horizontal so I can use it with walls. It only wants to remain vertical. I get the error "Can't rotate element into this position." Do you have any idea why that could be? If you could upload it I would be grateful - maybe I can do some reverse engineering :)

I see you got the title CAD Mentor with the new forum design. You're absolutely a mentor to me. Thanks as always!

Also, check out this post and blog. This explains Family Fundamentals in a good analogy for when you're getting familiar with the Content Environment:
http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2009/04/family-editor-bones-muscle-skin.html

Steve's Blog is superb. Lots of years of good info logged into that blog, especially with Family stuff. 

-TZ

I'll bookmark that blog. It's bound to come in handy.

Regarding the openings - one thing I'm trying to achieve with them is that when I put them inside a wall or slab, it will cut into it so that you can see through it. I might be expecting too much from it? The family properties of my tube opening has a check box that says "Cut with Voids When Loaded". I tried toying with it, but haven't made it work like that. Also there is the option of solid vs. void that I'm not sure which is right for me. Am I one the right track? Or it's maybe not possible?

It's doable, but I wouldn't recommend it. The reason why is because you'll have to edit the actual architectural file itself, which isn't a problem in and of itself but this would get overridden when an update came through. Now, you did mention that a company is requiring you to do so. If this is the case, you need to have access to their architectural Revit model and place the openings yourself, and I doubt that's going to happen. 

Ultimately if you just want a literal opening, just use the Wall Opening tool found on the Architecture Ribbon:
image.png.35f91628291de2d941da70d3b1d68efb.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tzframpton said:

Now, you did mention that a company is requiring you to do so.

They require me to create some element that represents a void, but they didn't clearly state that it needs to be "see through" quality - I just assumed so once I heard it. But considering the reasons you mentioned I guess that's not the case - which makes my life easier :) Thanks!

3 hours ago, Siberian said:

They require me to create some element that represents a void, but they didn't clearly state that it needs to be "see through" quality - I just assumed so once I heard it. But considering the reasons you mentioned I guess that's not the case - which makes my life easier :) Thanks!

I think they're wanting something similar to the Family I uploaded. That way they can run a coordination report against something, which is impossible if there is an actual voided opening. The Family I uploaded represents an opening, which is what you want, rather than an actual opening. I do this on about every project. 

-TZ