Raster Image Antialiasing

Often, when drawing geometry, I will use a Raster Image as reference to trace over. By default, AutoCAD blurs the image with some sort of anti-aliasing to smooth out the hard pixels. I want to turn that setting off. When I am panning (with RTDISPLAY set to 0) , the image temporarily reverts to the original image, which is what I want to see all the time. Is there a setting I can change to bypass the anti-aliasing to view the pixelated version while not panning?

4 hours ago, f700es said:

Can we see an example of this? I find it often depends on the resolution of the raster image.

Almost all of the images I run into this problem with are relatively low resolution. It is probably worth noting that the effect is not applied to embedded OLE objects, only Raster Image references. I find that I will often pan immediately before drawing a line just so that I can see the features more accurately.

example.thumb.png.356c5010dcda4cec945f99437833d855.png

Have you tried using a larger scale? In civil work, we often trace property boundaries, buildings, and so forth. At that scale an image will be pixellated whether you like it or not. You can always scale the image up by a known factor and then scale your linework down by the same factor.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:24 AM, CyberAngel said:

Have you tried using a larger scale? In civil work, we often trace property boundaries, buildings, and so forth. At that scale an image will be pixellated whether you like it or not. You can always scale the image up by a known factor and then scale your linework down by the same factor.

I tried scaling an image in AutoCAD to an insane size (a little over 3 billion miles wide). There was no change at all between that size and the scale I usually draw at (a couple feet wide). I could increase the actual image size using Photoshop, but I'd rather not go that route since larger images tend to slow things down noticeably.

I would expect there to be some sort of graphics setting to disable anti-aliasing on Raster Images. The fact that I haven't been able to find such a thing puzzles me.

Edited by benhubel
forgot a word

29 minutes ago, f700es said:

What is the base resolution of the image? No matter how you scale it in AutoCAD it's base resolution is what it is. 

The images I work with vary dramatically in size. For simplicity, assume that I'm working with a 256x256 jpg.

By the way, I figure I should mention this before somebody brings it up. Importing an image as an OLE can bypass the issue since AutoCAD doesn't apply anti-aliasing to OLE images. This method doesn't work for me, though, since there isn't a way (that I'm aware of) to adjust the brightness/contrast of the image, a feature which is extremely helpful for tracing.

20 minutes ago, benhubel said:

The images I work with vary dramatically in size. For simplicity, assume that I'm working with a 256x256 jpg.

Oh man, that's super low quality. That's like old school video game texture map quality. Completely pixelated when you get up close and personal with it.

Just now, Cad64 said:

Oh man, that's super low quality. That's like old school video game texture map quality. Completely pixelated when you get up close and personal with it.

The vast majority of images I work with are much larger than that (although some clients do actually send images that small). I just wanted to provide a worst case scenario. This is the sort of case in which I actually care whether it's anti-aliased or not. The higher resolution images are easy enough to trace either way.

I still haven't found any way to turn off Raster Image anti-aliasing. Does such a setting even exist? I'm also open to alternative solutions utilizing LISP or other types of code.

15 minutes ago, benhubel said:

I still haven't found any way to turn off Raster Image anti-aliasing. Does such a setting even exist? I'm also open to alternative solutions utilizing LISP or other types of code.

Maybe try changing the IMAGEQUALITY setting? Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do?

• Like 1