Autocad still has its limitations

cadmando-2

Autocad still has its limitations.

After 32 years using AutoCAD,  I manage to do some customizing, scripts file and custom menu.

But still find myself having to inter data that I thought by now could be done better .

For instance: one project I’m working on, is Blend box for return air and gets air charged with warm air and fan push back in to building to dry wood products.

Create the 3D model and the use “Flatshot” command to create detail drawings and dimension them.

Using 3”x3”x3/8” angle for corners and give strength in other places.

Very complex “Blend Box”. Problem I have is going back over and using leader line and type the size of angle and length.  Dimension a drawing is very time consuming and dimensioning can be over crowding a drawing. So that why I use the leader line command!

Sample:

3” x 3” x 3/8”L

34 ½” LG.

Cope one end

45 Degrees one end.

(2) REQ’D

Wish there was a way creating 3D model to attach spec’s or info to solid so when dimensioning

Could be more automated and less data entry.

I like AutoCAD that you can customize it, but need to work smarter.

Just started using AutoCAD mechanical 2018.

Next year we are going to Soild works, but mean time, I’m frustrated with AutoCAD.

Is there any lisp routines out there to assist with 3d modeling and detailing?

Callout bubbles that reference a tabulated data schedule would ease the overcrowding. But yes, AutoCAD isn't the best for this. There are other programs that automate this but takes a lot of set up, so it becomes a wash. With AutoCAD you can just "jump right in" but lose accuracy. SolidWorks you can't "jump right in" it takes lots of prep but it's highly accurate and populates data in an instance. 

No ultimate solutions, only tradeoffs. 

-TZ

I used solidworks 3 years and I like it better, but not much in customizing.

unfortunately we stuck with AutoCAD for now. I am not knocking AutoCAD, but I though by now they make it little more user friendly.

I have no time in customizing AutoCAD like I would like to. in a year we are witching over to Solidworks.

just wish had more tools would make it smarter CAD software!  

Its a case of taking a deep breath and asking where do I start some times autodimensioning can be done but you need to build intelligent objects say with xdata or dynamic blocks so data can be read. I know I can dimmension house plans left to right in one go but I wrote it to do that. 

Drawing autocad primitive objects like your angle needs to be done smarter. 

I know 20 minutes manually now like 1 minute for same task but it was at a customisation cost, but doing at least 1 per week savings were obvious. 

I'm sure you have added that note or one similar to it hundreds of times to drawings throughout your career.  Why couldn't the note be an attributed block?  Some of the attributes could be constant (ex. size of angle being used) while others, like the length, could be variable allowing you to insert the proper dimension.