"Reverse" Waterdrop Tool Lisp

Shablab

I am looking for a Lisp that will ask for a point on a surface to be selected and from there it will draw a polyline and go uphill until it reaches a high point.  For those unfamiliar, the water drop does this but the starting point is the high point.  I need to be able to use this command anywhere on the surface and that's why the catchment tool doesn't work in some circumstances.  As of now I have been just clicking around on the surface using waterdrop tool until a point hits.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:36 AM, Commandobill said:

BIGAL, I think the OP wants that solution but in reverse. Civil 3D does the water drop from high point to low point.

That's correct, the command waterdrop already exists in Civil 3D but it is only from high to low point. The waterdrop tool does use 3dfaces along the surface I just need the reverse direction as the existing command you can only use from a highpoint.

I googled and found the post above also found linked to that post a start for a solution, it shows the slope grade and direction with an arrow replace the arrow with a line then work out next intersect point and keep going. I am still sure a solution exists do a search for "slope direction".

Some other tools can do this, but nothing built into C3D.  Certainly possible to develop something based on a TIN and 3dface normal (projected onto XY axis as direction of maximum slope).

Search for David Tarboten's 'Taudem' software, which uses gridded data to aggregate flow contribution.  This describes some of the issues, including:

• filling of depressions (an issue in Canadian Prairie 'pothole' country, where I live)
  • dealing with flat surface areas (ditto re prairies)
  • Generate a stream path after 'n' grid cells (or 'burn in' / utilize streamlines from another source)
  • maximum size for generated catchments

An older version of Taudem (called Tardem) works on the command line, and has lent itself well to calling from AutoCAD and using CAD data to prepare input and process output.

Nowdays we use a couple of tools built into Global Mapper software, including 'Find Ridgelines' and 'Generate Watershed' that use terrain model data (eg. Bare earth LiDAR or ERSI Arc Grid, or grid based on a TIN).  Specialty drainage modeling software also may have this built in (PCSWMM expert system for US EPA Stormwater Management Model has this, very handy for quick and dirty natural drainage model development).

• 6 months later...

I posted a solution to this post in the Autodesk forums.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/reverse-waterdrop/m-p/8997728/highlight/false#M405845

It involves inverting (mirroring)  the surface to trick the Water Drop tool to draw from low to high.