Another dynamic door block question!

Glen1980

I am attempting to reduce the number of blocks we have by having one dynamic block for internal doors.  Due to the number of changes by our door manufacturer lately, I have added a couple of extra dynamic stretches so I can adjust for tolerance more easily.

Broadly it does work but I notice if I make a couple of changes with the lookup function it starts to break the block (slightly.)

Secondly, if I flip the handing of the door then use the lookup function things go weird.  I'm thinking that chaining some of the functions might help but I haven't found any decent tutorials that made chaining clear to me.

Oh and I know selecting FD60 with anything less than an 82mm wall results in the stop sticking out further than the jamb!  Any solutions to make 82mm minimum for FD60 and 75 minimum for NFR and FD30 would be appreciated.  I have added a door leaf thickness dynamic property as for regulations we need to provide certain clear openings and people will just measure the plan and not the detail so I'm trying to make the block as true to real sizes as possible.

Any comments or recommendations more than welcome!

Door-Int.dwg

It really is a question of trial and error, take a look at the attached .dwg, you can see that there are quite a few other actions included in the selection set for the flip, when it comes to "debugging" something like this just add or remove one item at a time test it thoroughly, especially with flips, use a stretch parameter to alter the size (door width) then flip, now try the same stretch action larger and smaller, and look to see what doesn't happen as you expect. The items that change unexpectedly will give you a clue. You should then be able to go back into the block editor and either add or remove the action (and or geometry) of the objects that aren't behaving. But then a very important tip, DELETE the old block and insert a new version, then try the same sequence again. A block that previously "broke" won't suddenly repair itself it still has the old definition so get rid of it. There was also a problem with your foam gap, you moved both lines by a factor of one, then the second line by a factor of two (that makes 3).

The rules about including actions alters when you start using rotate actions, which is what makes it a question of experience. And as far as chaining goes if you could explain where you think you could use chained actions, then we can go through an example based on a real world example of something you are trying to achieve, that will be much easier to understand than trying to apply some theory based on completely different circumstances than your needs.

Door-Int(1).dwg

Hi Glen 1980,

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, Glen1980 said:

Oh and I know selecting FD60 with anything less than an 82mm wall results in the stop sticking out further than the jamb!  Any solutions to make 82mm minimum for FD60 and 75 minimum for NFR and FD30 would be appreciated.  I have added a door leaf thickness dynamic property as for regulations we need to provide certain clear openings and people will just measure the plan and not the detail so I'm trying to make the block as true to real sizes as possible.

For that, i'm not the one to help you on that. But for fixing some "bugs" with your block i can help with the joined file.

I saw your block and it's like Steven-G said. Trial and errors.

But, when a lot of things are relatives to something (i.e. door swing, flip position and right frame position were all relative to the door lenght) it's easy to trigger weird results with a lookup function since some elements are offset from the others.

Since you had predefined lenght for your doors, i put a linear parameter and add it to the lookup. Same thing for the flip position and for the right frame position. You can notice that i cheat a little bit for the door lenght by adding the hinge distance. It's because i wanted that the Scale function start at the same position. You defined the scale function with an offset (X: -37.5 and Y: -1.5). With that, when you flip your block, those value don't turn positive. They will stay with negative values resulting in a offset of the door swing.

So, for this particular block, i hope this could do the job you needed. take a look at it and if you have questions, go ahead.

There is a little bug with my block that i'm still searching for, and it's about the "wall thickness" handle position. It is offset when i flip the block. Maybe you'll find why !

Regards,

Adju

Door-Int(3).dwg

When i talked about the offset of the scale function, it was not about to be drawn offset. It was more that you manually put on offset in the parameter.

This is a capture of the property table when i select your scale function.

Capture.JPG.67487343159e3a2dc21f4d84aab30657.JPG

There is a little bug with my block that i'm still searching for, and it's about the "wall thickness" handle position. It is offset when i flip the block. Maybe you'll find why !

You moved the action arrowhead away from the end of the parameter and it is keeping that same distance, if you move the whole wall thickness parameter across it solves that problem.

1 hour ago, steven-g said:

You moved the action arrowhead away from the end of the parameter and it is keeping that same distance, if you move the whole wall thickness parameter across it solves that problem.

Ha ! I see... now ! :) Thank you Steven-G !

I made a slight modification to the door stops position. There was a problem there. Now fixed.

As per Steven-G comment, i fixed the grip offset when flipping the block.

I don't have any ideas right now about fixing minimal thickness of walls depending on door type. If you find, just let me know.

Door-Int(4).dwg

Thanks Guys, have had to move onto something else the last few days.  I off set the scale command to try and keep the centre of the arc in the hinge position.  Maybe I'd be better off using a visibility option and having the door handed but hidden instead.