Master plan showing layouts

Treehugger

I have a large site plan which I have broken up into sections viewable at a larger scale as separate layouts. When looking at these larger scale layouts it is difficult to envisage whereabouts they sit in the larger scheme so I wish to create a master plan that shows the entire site but with the position of each layout shown i.e. I wish to plot a plan with all the viewport boundaries shown so that I can number them and tie them into each layout sheet.

I hope that makes sense.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I copied all the viewports on to a different layer and then scaled them to suit. Then placed that Key Plan (with numbers) onto each layout to show its position in the whole. Each layout covered a whole sheet.

Every project is different, but my example might give you an idea.

KeyPlans.PNG

• Like 1

Thanks eldon.

That is what I am trying to achieve.  I am just not sure how you go about it.

How do you make the viewports visible to be able to copy them onto a separate layer and how did you create the scale bar tile block and miniaturised viewport layout?

Yes

I do this as I create the Layouts, so usually not really a problem for me.

Try the LISP section, someone may have an automated solution.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Thanks eldon.

That is what I am trying to achieve.  I am just not sure how you go about it.

How do you make the viewports visible to be able to copy them onto a separate layer and how did you create the scale bar tile block and miniaturised viewport layout?

I usually plot from Model space, and this is one of the few forays I made into Paper space (it was quite frightening!) I probably did it wrong, but it worked for me.

Because I plot from Model space, I have blocks of paper sizes that I can insert into model space at the required scale. If this block is then inserted into paper space at 1:1, first one can size the paper space viewport and then one can align paper space and model space using Express tools Alignspace. I did it this way so I could control the layout of the sheets, and also so I would have entities in model space that I could use to make the Key plan. I put the frame outlines on a layer called Viewport, then I could copy them onto another layer, and scale them down. I was fortunate that the project had some spare space outside the detail, where I could put things.

I drew the scale bar because I could not find a suitable one when I started out, and I 'borrowed' the North sign from SoftDesk.

Edited by eldon
  • Like 1

One way I've accomplished this is to create a viewport at a much larger scale. Use one or two layers that show the borders of each section, and freeze the others. Place a number or letter in each section. Include a list if necessary. Now you have a key plan you can copy&paste to all the other sheets.

If you don't have a suitable layer, you can draw outlines around each section. Use CHSPACE to pull them into paper space. Proceed as already described. This method has the option of turning it all into a block.

• Like 1

My $0.05 use chspace like the others draw a rectangle just inside the viewport border use copy to clipboard the rectang then you can paste it to the other layouts saving a bit of time.

• Like 1