Changing dimension extensions

Hello, in the attached drawing, can anyone please advise how to reduce the length of the  horizontal extension for the number '10' ?

also, how do I get the number '5' on the left to be presented as shown for the bent line as the '5 on the right?

Thanks for your patience and help,

PJ

tenon dimensions.JPG

Re: Extension lines.  In my opinion your dimensions are too close to the dimension line.  This is controlled by the dimension variable DIMGAP.  If you really want the text to be that close to the line, and the extension lines shortened then change the dimension variable DIMEXE which controls the extension line distance beyond the dimension line.  The other thing you can do is change the height of your dimension text which is controlled by the dimensional variable DIMTEXT or just change it by going into Dimension Style and look under the Text tab.

Re: presentation of the dimension "5" on the right.  It may be attributed to the fact that when you placed the dimension you selected the far right (lower) corner then the upper right corner.  Erase what you have and reverse your picks.  Or Click/Drag the leader to the right.

Many thanks for this advice, ReMark. Totally agree about the values being too close to the line.

I  tried each of the different  commands  and also the Dimension Style and came up with the modified drawing below ( supplied with 2 different background colours. Looks much better thanks.

I  still don't know how to do a global modification to the long horizontal dimension lines coming off the "10".

Also, how do I  rotate the value "10" so that is is horizontal  and without the arrow line ?

Thanks for all the help,

regards,

PJ

AutoCAD -dimensions-2.JPG

AutoCAD -dimensions.JPG

Global changes can be executed via the Dimension Styles Manager.  There are tabs for Lines, Symbols and Arrows, Text, Fit, Primary Units, Alternate Units and Tolerances.  Extension line lengths can be changed on the Lines tab.  Look at the entry for "Extend beyond extension lines" in the lower right hand corner of the tab.  The default is 0.1800.

Orientation of text can be globally changed in the Dimension Styles Manager as well by going to the Fit tab.

From what I have seen so far from you I think you would benefit from an AutoCAD tutorial on dimensioning.  Go to mycadsite.com, click on the link Level 1 - Basics, look for lesson 1-8 (Layers, Dimensions, Text and Scale), finally go to the section about Dimensioning, read and study it carefully.  Practice what is demonstrated and you will have a better understanding of dimensioning with AutoCAD. 

Edited by ReMark