Penn Foster Civil Drafting Project

D'Jewel

hello! i just done the the structural project!! and after a lot headaches and frustration it was done and i got a good grade now im with the civil project and now I'm stuck at the first point.

I don't understand the fact that where i have to place the benchmark the instructions says:  " if a benchmark is at point 11675,39532, the benchmark is 2.21 miles East of the intersection and 7.49 miles North of the intersection. i don'n understand the fact that the benchmark has to be place in another place but no in the coordinate indicate previously.. I remember when i did the topographic project said same but this time i cant understand where to place the benchmark 

hope somebody can replay my question thank you !!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• D'Jewel

• Nate.straightline

• Yirlesa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The project description is probably referring to a benchmark in state plane coordinates (measured in feet). Every state has its own grid, and every location in the state can be expressed as a point on that grid.

Sometimes it's not easy to find a Geodetic Survey benchmark near your site. This one is several miles away, so maybe it's part of the client's requirements to use it. Maybe they want you to use different units. Or maybe it's just Penn Foster being Penn Foster.

You are referring to the Civil Drafting Project which depicts the Capitano property (on Ocean Avenue).  The benchmark (BM 312) exists at the northwest corner of the survey area. BM 312 has an elevation of 88.9 feet, and its coordinates are 521662,44895.  Use the coordinates for the benchmark that the project instructions specify. 

The information you quote above was only provided to illustrate the concept of origin points (the intersection of the meridian and baseline).  

Edited by ReMark