bruce13557

Hardwaree requirements

bruce13557

I've been having some issues with autocad so I posted a ticket with Autodesk which replied as I suspected that my system isn't handling the work I'm giving it.
I currently have:
Intel Core i5-8400 CPU
16 GB ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Video card
Intel SSDPEKKW 512GB HARD DRIVE
I am using fairly large files, my current one is 11,699KB and working in 3D.
Does anyone have recommendations on what I can suggest to the owner as an upgrade that won't give him a heart attack?
Obviously I want the system to work for the next few years so it will need to have enough spare power to handle growth.
Thanks
Bruce

bruce13557

I just saw the extra "e" in the title.

Sorry about that.

f700es

It's not your hardware unless something is failing. Your specs are more than enough for AutoCAD usage. An 11 mb file is not really large. What exactly is going on?

Cad64
13 hours ago, bruce13557 said:

I am using fairly large files, my current one is 11,699KB and working in 3D.

What visual style are you using? It has been my experience that Conceptual and Realistic are not good to use while working. Stick with Shaded while you're working and switch to Conceptual or Realistic only when you're ready to view what you've done.

You could also try enabling or disabling hardware acceleration and see if that has any effect.

bruce13557

I have occasional freezes, probably at least weekly where when I do something like change the change the visual style autocad will take 5 to 10 minutes to complete the action.
More frequently, up to several times a day, things like the view cube will disappear, or not respond at all to any command, the cursor will disappear on any autocad item, or it will remain visible on anything except the drawing where it will still be active and allow me to select items, I just can't see where it is. These bugs are resolved by closing the drawing and reopening it.

I use wire frame visual style unless I need to clarify some detail or show someone what the item looks like.

Cad64

You said your file size is 11,699KB, but what type of models are you creating and how complex are they? Also, how large are they and how far away from the origin are they? I used to have a lot of trouble in 3ds Max with models that were far away from the origin. It's best to work at X0,Y0,Z0 if possible.

bruce13557

I draw a model in 3D solids arranged in blocks for the various grouped parts. Then I copy the blocks to a separate part of the drawing for fabrication views, copy them one more time and explode the block to pull out the individual solids for detailed fabrication drawings. 

bruce13557

I have noticed that if I select an item then change view using the view cube the new view is ready in a couple of seconds. If I simply change the view using the view cube it can take 1.5 minutes for the view to be ready. If I use the view manager the change is almost instantaneous. 

Cad64

Honestly, I've never used the viewcube for anything. In fact, I have it disabled so I don't even see it. When I need to orbit around a model I would select a part of it and then hold down Shift and middle mouse to orbit around. When you select an item, it isolates it during orbit so that's probably why it works better without freezing up to calculate all the other various parts of the model.

• Like 1

f700es
1 hour ago, Cad64 said:

Honestly, I've never used the viewcube for anything.

This

bruce13557

I didn't use the viewcube either but now I find that I can select an object that I'm working on then choose one of the "primary" views and the focus of the screen stays on my object but the orientation remains in line with the cursor axis. Orbit works well too but often I want to keep the view aligned with the axis.