Removing a section of a line for a doorway

Gregmw

Start by selecting the TRIM command.  Next select the line(s) that will be used as the cutting edges then, when prompted, select the portion of the line that will be trimmed away.

6 hours ago, Gregmw said:

Thank you 

how do I accurately select the potion to be cut from the line ?

There are many ways to do this.  One way is to construct a rectangle (actually a square) with the dimensions of the door.  For example, let's say the door is 30" wide.  Using rectangle create a 30 x 30 square and then position a copy of it where you want the door opening.  If a wall is not horizontal or vertical use align to position the square.  Now use the square with the trim command to cut the lines. 

image.png.34d7195e0504d1c38a229183c7736fcd.png

• Thanks 1

There are some door lisp's out there that will "BREAK" the wall and insert a door with arc etc. Just do a search. Some use dynamic blocks which is the way to go.

The image is from a design package add on.

3dhouse.jpg

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

In terms of basic 2D Autocad, in many cases it's completely fine to just insert the door and frame without having to trim.

I have typical blocks for all of my interior and exterior doors (on their own door layer).  I copy what I want and ctrl+shift+v to paste each door and window assembly in as a block on that layer.

My exterior walls I usually don't ever trim those.  Interior walls - sometimes but usually it's not necessary for basic floor plan linework.

As long as the door and its swing are present, it's clear in the floor plan what the intent is.

It never really has to be 100% perfect either.

It's all conceptual in the end.

I also have typical offsets I maintain.

So for 3'-0" doors I maintain 24" from CL of door to adjacent framing.
This allows plenty of room for the framing work at the jambs.

-ChriS

• Thanks 1

If you add a wipeout to your door block it will give impression of a break in the wall. Must pull all objects above wipeout using Draworder.

The doors in the image punch holes in walls and are user sized not blocks, same with offset from adjacent corner.

• Like 1