ReMark

FREE CAD Programs

ReMark

As some CAD users have heard the free 2D CAD program Draftsight, by Dassault Systemes, will cease functionality at the end of 2019.  For those of you looking for a replacement I offer the following.  All four programs are available in Windows, Linus and Mac versions.  Note that both Draftsight and NanoCAD also offer very low cost versions of their CAD programs if one is so inclined.

FreeCAD

https://www.freecadweb.org/

Open source

LibreCAD

https://librecad.org/

Open source

NanoCAD

https://nanocad.com/

QCAD v3.23

https://qcad.org/en

Open source

Edited by ReMark
Noted open source software
  • Like 1

steven-g

Limited in some ways but don't forget Bricsys Shape. It's the BricsCAD free software aimed at concept modelling it does 2D and 3D. Creates dwg files it's really easy to use the main limitations are no dims (apparently you can copy a dim from and external file and place and adjust those to get dims that way if you really want). And no Layouts but you can print to PDF to get 'views' out. But anything you create is saved as dwg and should you wish to then upgrade to BricsCAD for dims and Layouts, and more advanced stuff like sections even BIM data, it can all be done with the model you create in Shape, no need to make any changes.

• Like 1

ReMark

I could have mentioned SketchUp Make (3D modeling) but it has its limitations.  

SLW210

AFAIK Draftsight is still FREE on Linux and MAC.

f700es

SketchUp Make (2017) is not being updated. Their current  "free" offering is SketchUp Free, a free on-line 3D program. More limitations than SU Make and still not for commercial use.

A worthy competitor to SketchUp Make is Form Z Free.
It can import; SKP, KMZ, DWG, DXF, DAE, OBJ and STL files
Exports STL
Same file format as the paid versions (Form Z Jr and Pro)
Can be used for ANY purpose, home, hobby and commercial!
Has a more robust tool-set than SU Make or Free....Nurbs, parametrics, booleans, doors,windows, stairs. subdivisions, and more.

Form-Z-Free.jpg

f700es

+1 on NanoCAD.

ReMark

Just came across this from the 2019 Draftsight FAQ.

I’m a Mac or Linux user, can I use DraftSight 2019?

DraftSight 2019 SP0 will be offered only as a Beta version for Mac and Linux that includes all the features in DraftSight Standard. These Beta versions will expire on 12/31/2019 and are not available for purchase at this time. Visit www.DraftSight.com/Download to download DraftSight 2019 SP0 Beta for Mac and Linux. 

f700es
20 minutes ago, ReMark said:

These Beta versions will expire on 12/31/2019

Looks like the gravy train will be over for them as well :(
I always wanted to set up a Linux box with DraftSight, Inkscape and Blender3D. Never got around to it.

Speaking of free, if some smart developer ever comes up with a SketchUp like interface for Blender it will be over for them!

SLW210

It's been a year or more since I fired up a home computer. Didn't really use it much, anyway. It is still a reasonable price IMHO. $99 per year for standard. I guess BricsCAD still runs on a Linux box at a reasonable price.
Still a good bit out there for reasonable prices or free. I haven't tried QCad yet, but have the others, all would work in a pinch.

ReMark

Speaking of BricsCAD, you can now subscribe (rent on a yearly basis) to it or buy a perpetual license.  The current pricing for the Classic, Pro and Platinum versions are quoted as $845, $1105 and $1560 respectively.