cant convert my objects to 3d solids

Bodo

okay so I've been working on something that I will later need to 3D print, I've reached a satisfactory design but then there are some objects which I'm unable to export to stl due to the fact that they're not solid, I tried commands like, extrude which worked but the object stayed a surface regardless and did not convert the object to 3D solid, Convert to solid said object can't be converted and thicken gave me some bizarre error

Fuselage One.dwg Fuselage Three.dwg Fuselage Two.dwg

Edited by Bodo

Try Exploding your surface objects. This will break them apart into bite sized chunks. Then you should be able to use the Thicken command to convert them to Solids. Then you can run the Union command to join them back together or just leave them as individual pieces for printing.

15 hours ago, Cad64 said:

Try Exploding your surface objects. This will break them apart into bite sized chunks. Then you should be able to use the Thicken command to convert them to Solids. Then you can run the Union command to join them back together or just leave them as individual pieces for printing.

ok thanks that worked to a certain point

2 issues

some surfaces/regions only extrude the sides, not the full surface/region

thicken command thickens towards the outside rather than the inside.

If you want Thicken to thicken towards the inside, use a negative value.

I didn't have any issues with the sides extruding. Can you post a screenshot so I can see what parts are doing this?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cad64 said:

If you want Thicken to thicken towards the inside, use a negative value.

I didn't have any issues with the sides extruding. Can you post a screenshot so I can see what parts are doing this?

thickening with a negative value worked, thanks a lot, guess there's no need to extrude anymore.

3 hours ago, Bodo said:

thickening with a negative value worked, thanks a lot, guess there's no need to extrude anymore.

Great!  :thumbsup:

If you end up getting it 3D printed, come back and post some photos in the Showcase section. And let us know what printer you use.