Graphic Bar Scales

I am almost embarrassed to even ask... but I searched the web and am not having luck finding what I need, so back to the experts, right?

OK, all of my graphic bar scales were drawn many years ago, At that time, the office standard was to draw all scales in increments of a multiple of 5. For example, the scale might read: 0', 1', 5', 10'. Here is the point... EVEN if the drawing is being plotted in 8 scale, all of my graphic scales are still drawn in the above format.

Now, I am working with an additional office that draws all graphic scales differently depending upon whether one used a 10 scale or an 8 scale. So, for example, the 10 scale drawing would be the same as above, BUT the 8 scale drawing would show increments in multiples of 4. (0', 4', 8', etc)

So, what should be the standard practice? IS there one?

I recommend sticking with scales found on either an engineer's scale or an architectural scale. If you cannot use either one to get distances off a plotted drawing what's the point?

Yes the jump from 1:6 to 1:10 means you may not fill a viewport as much as you like, but expecting everyone to double whatever they measure at 1:4 to get every value plotted at 1:8 will lead to computation errors.

• Like 1

Perhaps my question was unclear. I am not asking for information on how to use scales. I am asking for the correct way to draw up 1" = 8'-0".

Does one always use increments of multiples of 4 (0', 1', 4', 8') OR can one use increments of multiples of 5 (0', 1', 5', 10')?

At 1"=8'-0" then 1/2"=4'-0", 1/4"=2'-0" and 1/8"=1'-0".  Are there any measurements that fall between these?  Ex. - 2'-3" or 5'-9"?  I'd suggested creating your bar scale in half foot intervals.

Alright, I should know better than to ask a visual question w/out visual images for examples! So, please see the attached image and tell me which of the two bar scales you normally use for 1"=8'-0". Thank you.

8 scale.JPG

Why the top one? Because it uses multiples of 4 as opposed to multiples of 5? (This was my original question) I am a landscape Architect working in CO. These are very common bar scales in my business.

Wouldn't that make the most sense?  What are the reasons given, by your co-workers, why they choose to use a scale bar based on multiples of 5?

With the top one an engineer's scale would read 5 at 1', 20 at 4', and 40 at 8'.

A scale would read 5 at 1', 25 at 5', 50 at 10', and 75 at 15'.

I prefer mine in even inches as much as possible like the top one.

I made the one I attached by simply scaling one I had. Since it uses fields a regen updated the scale values.

I use shading inside the rectangles to save on ink and use background masking and Mtext with background mask so the scale is clear even when placed on top of aerial photography.

Just resize and update the fields to create any scale you need. Just don't explode it when you insert one in a drawing or the fields will be gibberish since they're linked to the block.

SCALE8_A.dwg