Point Clouds

Silvercloak

Hi,

I just discovered 2018 no longer has point clouds.  Why did AutoDesk do this?  It's infuriating.  Apparently my copy of Civil3d doesn't have AutoDesk Recap installed on it.  And from the look of things it's not a free add on.  Is there any way to bring in a point cloud without using Recap?  Has anyone found a work around that's FREE?

Silvercloak

Why does AutoDesk do anything that further confuses its users?  Who knows?  Be that as it may try an online search for "Civil3D 2018" and "point clouds" for starters.  I see that there are a couple of videos by Steve Younkin and Todd Rogers on the subject.  You might also look for information at the AutoDesk Knowledge Network.  Much like airlines that started charging a fee for checked baggage, AutoDesk is now in fee-based mode and you can expect them to aggressively find more ways to ding their client base.  And that's how business works like it or not.  The customer really doesn't matter all that much in the scheme of things when you have a captive audience.  Pay up or forego what you previously got for free. 

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

I've been googling and haven't had much luck.  I don't bother with youtube videos  being both hard of hearing and short of patience on people who use Youtube as their personal pulpit to blather on about nonsense rather than get straight to the topic at hand.  It takes enough energy to hear what I'm looking for, never mind hearing their personal rants and takes on CAD, philosophy and their chosen color because it matches their eyes. 

I've noticed the subscription thing, it's a total cash cow.  Absolutely disgusting, I miss the days when you bought a software and you owned it and got what you paid for.

Silvercloak

47 minutes ago, ReMark said:

Thank you for that rather cynical yet insightful observation.  I hope you find what you are looking for.  Good luck.

Addendum:

What the heck let's give it one last try.  Alternatives to Autodesk ReCap….https://alternativeto.net/software/autodesk-recap/

I'm not sure what's cynical about it.  I'm hard of hearing so I prefer reading text to attempting to hear someone's lecture on youtube.

I'll check out your link - thanks!

PS.  Just looked at it, I've already seen it, I'll take a look at some of those programs.  Hopefully one is free or low cost.

Edited by Silvercloak

Point Clouds are still used in Civil 3D 2020 though Recap has been a seperate program for a while now. Have you asked your retailer how much it would cost to add it?

We've been on various packages since Raster was the first to be seperated (needed for aerial photography stored in sid files). Currently we're using Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection which includes Raster. Recap Pro (limited only by PC's memory now), ReCap Photo service entitlement, ReCap Pro - mobile app, and many other things you may or may not ever use. 39 in all including 100 GB of cloud storage.

20 hours ago, Silvercloak said:

Is there any way to bring in a point cloud without using Recap?  Has anyone found a work around that's FREE?

You can still go straight from lidar to a Civil3D TinSurface using this free add-on.

DotSoft LidarTools Freeware on Autodesk App Store

This blog post contains descriptions of all the tools it contains.  Over 1000 downloads so far, over 425 from the AppStore alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tombu said:

Point Clouds are still used in Civil 3D 2020 though Recap has been a seperate program for a while now. Have you asked your retailer how much it would cost to add it?

We've been on various packages since Raster was the first to be seperated (needed for aerial photography stored in sid files). Currently we're using Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection which includes Raster. Recap Pro (limited only by PC's memory now), ReCap Photo service entitlement, ReCap Pro - mobile app, and many other things you may or may not ever use. 39 in all including 100 GB of cloud storage.

Managed to get our IT to add it to my PC.  I'm not terribly in love with it, it seems slower and clunkier than the old set up on 2016.  But it's my first time using it, hopefully I can find some way to make it more efficiently turn Lidar into surfaces.

Silvercloak

5 hours ago, TerryDotson said:

You can still go straight from lidar to a Civil3D TinSurface using this free add-on.

DotSoft LidarTools Freeware on Autodesk App Store

This blog post contains descriptions of all the tools it contains.  Over 1000 downloads so far, over 425 from the AppStore alone.

Will definitely keep this in mind.  Trouble is everything has to be installed by IT over here which makes it a real PITA to add anything to my computer. If Recap causes issues - this might be my next shot

Thanks!

I don't get it... I created a point cloud using recap and then tried to follow the instructions here;

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/Civil3D-UserGuide/files/GUID-2F76077A-CA80-481F-B0D3-60BE636EF31C-htm.html

But there's no option to create a surface from point cloud using the drop down for surfaces.  I'm stumped.  Anyone know what to do?

PS. Ended up just typing out the command "Createsurfacefrompointcloud" and it worked.  LOL old school.

Edited by Silvercloak
  • Like 1

For the current version "Create Surface From Point Cloud" is in the Ribbon's Surfaces dropdown on the "Create Ground Data" tab.

Help link for it in 2016 version: http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-A0AF525B-5755-4790-AF97-65701D064D4A

Edited by tombu
Not everyone uses the Ribbon yet, had to specify dropdown location.

I'm using 2018 and trust me. It's not in the drop down.  No idea why but I've got it working now.  Unfortunately recap is TOO resource heavy.  It now takes 3x as long as it used to to render a point cloud and create a surface.  It looks very cool but i really don't need that.  I just want what i had in 2016, it was quick, simple and didn't crash my system trying to export to xml.

This recap is really a step backwards.

Silvercloak

Recap Pro was made separate because extra functionality and removing limits to the amount of points it could handle would strain resources on even a high power workstation running both at the same time . 

Civil 3D 2018 tutorial with several ways to bring in the Point Cloud and create the Surface (after closing Recap Pro): http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2018/ENU/?caas=caas/video/youtube/lesson/151424-courseId-100635.html