Best Programming Laguage

therock005

I started watching some tutorials in Python and got some help from a friend that has a certificate in that language. Will I be able to make use of it inside Autocad or should I focus in a more standardized language like LISP or VBA? Where should I focus my efforts

• 4 months later...

AutoLISP was baked into AutoCAD, so it is best suited for working with drawings. For what was intended to be nothing more than a LISt Processor, the language is surprisingly powerful.

Visual Basic is also baked in, but it's, you know, basic.

If you're doing some high-powered analysis or object handling, Python is probably better suited, better supported, and easier to use. It depends on what you want to do.

TYcon_paris not sure about VBA preceeding lisp there was Cobol, Fortran and  BASIC, Lisp was probably the same era, Visual Basic for Applications ? by Microsoft ?

TYcon_paris not sure about VBA preceeding lisp there was Cobol, Fortran and  BASIC, Lisp was probably the same era, Visual Basic for Applications ? by Microsoft ?

Visual Basic is a third-generation event-driven programming language from Microsoft known for its Component Object Model (COM) programming model first released in 1991

Lisp was invented by John McCarthy in 1958 while he was at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). McCarthy published its design in a paper in Communications of the ACM in 1960, entitled "Recursive Functions of Symbolic Expressions and Their Computation by Machine, Part I" (Part II was never published).

Edited by BIGAL

• 1 year later...

Yes, you are able to use python inside AutoCad. If you are eager to learn python and interested in using it in AutoCad then go for it. You can use pyautocad libraries with AutoCad COM API or IronPython with AutoCAD .NET API. There's also a there's the comtypes package. If you know AutoCAD's item model, you could invoke nearly each approach and fetch nearly each value.

I hope this is helpful.