Double clicking on DWG file doesn't open AutoCAD 2021

pmadhwal7

I am unable to open DWG file when i was double clicking on DWG files Nothing happens and no error message is shown, any solution?

If you have recently updated your AutoCAD it is possible that the windows file association is broken. Right click on a drawing and choose "Open With" from the drop down list and ensure it is set correctly.

• Like 2

Should you find that Double Click Editing is a problem, not the issue you are experiencing, I understand,

enter DBLCLKEDIT at the commandline and change the variable setting to ON.

I see from your video that you are using AutoCad Map 3D 2021, with which I am totally unfamiliar, sorry.

I am unclear why you posted this in the LISP forum, as there is a subsection dedicated to Map 3D under the AutoCad section on the forum.

Perhaps a Moderator will move this post to that board for you, so that you might get some help more quickly from those who use the software.

It is always a good idea to help us help you, when posting by considering where is the best place to post your question.   ;)

Might your WINDOWS Folder opening preference have been changed by a Windows update?

Edited by Dadgad
added suggestion

36 minutes ago, Dadgad said:

I see from your video that you are using AutoCad Map 3D 2021, with which I am totally unfamiliar, sorry.

I am unclear why you posted this in the LISP forum, as there is a subsection dedicated to Map 3D under the AutoCad section on the forum.

Perhaps a Moderator will move this post to that board for you, so that you might get some help more quickly from those who use the software.

It is always a good idea to help us help you, when posting by considering where is the best place to post your question.   ;)

Might your WINDOWS Folder opening preference have been changed by a Windows update?

i am facing this problem from yesterday before that it was working fine...

I have moved your thread to the AutoCAD Bugs, Error Messages & Quirks Forum, please post in the appropriate forum.

Works just fine here. Could be a Windows issue, but you could try to see if the other AutoCADs will open them correctly.

If it was a Widows preference wouldn't it open somewhere or you would get a message to find a program?

27 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

You may need to run a repair on AutoCAD. Are the AutoCAD tools up to date?

repair autocad already..

9 minutes ago, acadesign09 said:

Just restart your computer then open it again.

You will see you can open now your DWG.

Done it many time not worked....

Have you tried right-click on a dwg file and choose 'open with' and then 'choose another app' tick the box 'always use this app to open this type of file'

While a nuclear solution such as uninstalling and reinstalling may solve the problem, it doesn't address the issue directly.

I would check the SDI setting and also verify that the file association is correct.

In the meantime, use the open command from within AutoCAD.

27 minutes ago, acadesign09 said:

Uninstall and reinstall your AUTOCAD software.

i also think this the last option left....

Double-clicking a file in windows explorer is a windows issue so reinstalling AutoCAD would be doubtful to have an effect. You need to be checking file associativity in Windows

Is there some reason that the drawings must be opened via the operating system and not through AutoCAD itself? When you use Windows, you're launching an application the way Windows wants to do it, which may not correspond with what you expect or want. Over the years I've heard of several problems created by opening drawings this way.

8 hours ago, CyberAngel said:

Is there some reason that the drawings must be opened via the operating system and not through AutoCAD itself? When you use Windows, you're launching an application the way Windows wants to do it, which may not correspond with what you expect or want. Over the years I've heard of several problems created by opening drawings this way.

That's true.  Some design firms tell u to never double click a file on the server.

At my previous employer they trained us to always right click and select the correct program that way.

There's a variety of reasons for this.  But double clicking tells Windows to open the file with your default program for a specific file type.

So you can have DWG created in Autocad, Architecture, Civil3D, etc... But Windows isn't gonna know the difference.

Trying to open a DWG in Autocad that was created years ago in LDD can also screw with how the drawings are configured somehow - though it was never fully explained to me.

ChriS