Client Request for Examples

bennyboy86

Ok team a new one i have only come across now im pushing to get contract work at a full time amount.

had a potential client ask me for examples, no worries i sent some screen shots with all the main information cut of so just a pretty picture, but now he is asking for the revit model itself, this is where im finding the issue as i dont own the model its my previous employers, i really dont feel comfortable sending a model even an IFC version, as A. its not mine and B. its not his either. 

thoughts? anyones 2 cents more then appreciated. dont want to write him off as a client but i just cant give what he wants.

Then tell him that, say that the content was prepared for another client and that images are OK to share but the actual drawing file content belongs to another client (you don't need to say it is from your employer}.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steven-g said:

Then tell him that, say that the content was prepared for another client and that images are OK to share but the actual drawing file content belongs to another client (you don't need to say it is from your employer}.

thanks mate, that sounds good to me.

I never give out examples. If you need to explain why, you might not want to work with that client.

I just tell them to check my references and show me an example of what you need done and a computer with a CAD program.

You CAN send people anything, doesn't prove you did the work.

Devil's advocate: I've seen some Revit files that were...."close enough" and "good enough for CD's". I've posted before about GCs and Architects saying that for TRUE 100% BIM it's costs MORE. I find that a BS answer myself. If you are doing BIM (Revit for example) then DO BIM with full clash detection and not half-arse, good enough for CD's.
My 2 bits anyway.

12 hours ago, SLW210 said:

I never give out examples. If you need to explain why, you might not want to work with that client.

I just tell them to check my references and show me an example of what you need done and a computer with a CAD program.

You CAN send people anything, doesn't prove you did the work.

Yeah my missus actually said similar thing about explanation

never in 15 years have I gone crazy giving examples that’s what probation periods are for to work out if you are good or not and with contract hell its 1 project or the first issue you would know if good or no good.

agreed most project I worked on has had slight touches by others due to being sick or away or under time crunches so to pinpoint exactly what is mine and not mine is crazy

11 hours ago, f700es said:

Devil's advocate: I've seen some Revit files that were...."close enough" and "good enough for CD's". I've posted before about GCs and Architects saying that for TRUE 100% BIM it's costs MORE. I find that a BS answer myself. If you are doing BIM (Revit for example) then DO BIM with full clash detection and not half-arse, good enough for CD's.
My 2 bits anyway.

Agreed if you start the model right from the very beginning I don’t see why can’t be done 100%, starting half arse and then trying to make it 100% sure that’s where it would cost more.

• Like 1

I've done a lot of Revit projects that were not much more than 3D modeling and annotation. Just because you are using Revit doesn't mean you need to be doing "100% BIM" (whatever that means). It's a great program for collaborating and coordinating. A lot of people get too caught up in the whole BIM aspect. Just because you are doing clash detection for coordination doesn't mean you are doing full BIM. People tend to forget the information part of BIM which is where you get into the true BIM aspect of it. Some projects, especially smaller ones, just don't need that kind of thing. We are actually going to start doing Revit on top of architectural CAD backgrounds just so we can get more time with Revit and have easier coordination for our projects. Anyone that would respond with something like "Why use Revit then?", is not realizing that projects can be brought to CD level without doing BIM and, yes, there is a premium for full BIM.

Edited by RobDraw