Remote Desktop wont open Civil 3D

Chudwick

Early in the Pandemic I worked from home, VPN'in into my local server.  It was slow and awful.  Our office is going to undergo a renovation and we'll all be forced to work from home again and I was going to try using Remote Desktop.  I had IT set it up and it worked great the first day. 

The issue, I can't open an instance of Civil 3D through the connection.    It errors out and crashes to desktop.   If cad is already open on the machine it works fine.. but Civil 3D likes to crash and once it does I am sunk.

Has anyone been through this issue and knows a way to resolve it?

I can come back in after lunch or tomorrow to update with the error message, i believe its graphic related.  Our IT company looked into it and couldn't fix it, Remote Desktop showed it was using some Microsoft Remoted Desktop Graphics driver that hadn't been updated since 2009 and there were no new updates to it we could find. 

I used LogMeIn, seemed to work fine. What Civil 3D are you using? Can you install Civil 3D on your home computer? Ultimately, I mostly just put the files on my local machine and used CAD on my home computer for most work.

What OS is your home computer and what OS is your work computer? What Remote Desktop are you using, Microsoft shows pretty recent updates for Windows 10 and an app so that would be since 2009?

I am still using Civil 3D 2018, but our license runs from current year to 3yrs back.  I will try 2020 when I go home for lunch today and take a screen shot of the error that pops up. 

As for can I install it at home, yes its what ive done in the past but since we switched Autodesk Providers when we purchased a larger frim a year or so ago, their Cad manager(now ours) has been pretty dodgy on getting me a home-use license.   I need to probably make a call to the provider to get that or get the wheels rolling with the cad manager.  

We use an out-sourced IT group, I am not sure if I can request a different remote option like LogMein but I will ask. 

OS at work is windows 10

OS at home is windows 8.1 but i will be getting that upgraded to 10 eventually.  I now wonder if my older version of windows is why the generic driver is trash? hmm 

It has been a few weeks since i've pulled up remote desktop at home, off the top of my head I do not know what Remote Desktop they have me using. I want to say it is literally Remote Desktop Manager.

Just clarifying remote desktop from Microsoft, could be your older OS needing the older driver, though I never liked theirs in the past for similar problems.

When I was working from home, it seemed things really slowed down after lunch time, my guess was network traffic, so I did all I could to transfer early and work local in the afternoon. I have Windows 7 at work and Windows 10 at home, LogMeIn ran just fine, small files were not much problem at all.

We have a few hundred people using RDP over their VPN connection to access their desktop PC in the office. I hear about this occasionally, but it always works fine after a crash.

On the other hand I have a test PC that I keep in an IDF here. If I run AutoCAD or Civil 3D, then close the RDP session, and then later (same day, or a day later, or a week later...) restore the RDP session, most of the time the CAD session is locked up and will not respond, or it has crashed. I believe most of our users are not leaving CAD open in between sessions and this may be why they are not seeing this behavior.

caderror.JPG.4056cb9680356ba56371538c99a1df4d.JPG

Here is the error i get trying to open any version of CAD through the remote desktop software. 

I'll make a real effort this week to get my PC upgrade to windows 10.

Seems the error is ATI graphics card/driver related. I run NVidia cards myself and that would be my recommendation for you.

Possible fixes, but check with your IT...https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-loadlibrary-failed-with-error-87-windows-10/

https://superuser.com/questions/1516486/windows-10-loadlibrary-failed-with-error-87-on-remote-desktop-session

Some YouTube videos available for the .dll repair as well.

Some have seen where 2 graphics card were installed causing this error as well.

• Like 1

Nice detective work, I appreciated the assistance!

I did a few searches on the error and found it was graphics related but specifically an ATI issue.  

I know that this machine has some on-board generic graphics, I think i'll disable that so it doesn't show up in device manager.  Will have to check my home PC I can't remember if the motherboard came with a generic and if I had disabled it or not.  And yep the comments under one of your provided links show another disabling the generic intel (R) HD Graphics card and his issue went away.   Will check this at home, disable it if my mother board came with some generic option and hope its not the .dll thing as I tried to change that, but IT has that portion locked down, we have the ability to install programs, but probably a good thing we can't mess with dlls. 

image.png.0dfa3540e5ebbb282d2320c2024703ec.png

Confirmed, disabling that additional on board graphics card allows Civil 3D to open through the Remote Desktop application. 

Thank you all for the assistance. 

• Like 1

No problem. I have seen this on other forums before and decided to get to the bottom of it, it affects more than AutoCAD it seems, glad it's sorted.

You may still want to get IT to look into the .dll just in case.