Propeties for rectangel

Hi all!

When I draw a rectangle, I specify the length and width. But why I can't get them when I choose the rectangle and its Quick properties?. There are only different vertex, circumference and area on it.

Thanks for help?

The Rectangle command is just a command that  creates a 4 sided polygon using the length and width dimensions that you provide. Once the command is finished, you're left with a closed polyline. That's why, when you select the rectangle and look at its properties, it lists the object as a polyline, not a rectangle. So there are no length or width values.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cad64 said:

The Rectangle command is just a command that  creates a 4 sided polygon using the length and width dimensions that you provide. Once the command is finished, you're left with a closed polyline. That's why, when you select the rectangle and look at its properties, it lists the object as a polyline, not a rectangle. So there are no length or width values.

Spot on Cad64.    :beer:

Welcome to CADTutor CADare.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who uses Quick Properties, I am lost without them.

As you likely already know, by clicking on the right edge of the Quick Properties palette, one can access the Customize menu.

On that menu one can customize the information which you wish to be displayed for each of the numerous Object types in AutoCad.

If you favor using Quick Properties I highly recommend taking advantage of a little downtime, whenever convenient and setting

the Quick Properties so that it works how you want it to.

image.thumb.png.c18064edecf1b12d9835ead042063e6a.png

image.thumb.png.1b2d5fd2ca1d5e770c50c907668bab06.png

An easy way to get the length and width, on the fly, as shown in the following screenshots is using the Distance command.

You don't need to generate any new linework, and it is done with a single command.  This is why I always keep my commandline history expanded to reveal

all of the information accessed by this functionality.

image.thumb.png.2c727987abd3058d33e56677ea3c81c3.png

image.thumb.png.3f7db8e6bfd4875164d37291424eb625.png

This is even MORE helpful when working in 3D, since the Distance reported will be the true 3D distance, as if you had drawn a 3D Polyline or line, in a

non orthogonal perspective.

If, like myself you ever find that you have left your QuickProperties Palette outboard (on your second monitor at home?) .

Just go into your QuickProperties Settings, and reset your Palette Location to cursor dependent, and that will call it home.

I favor using Static because on some Objects, like Dimensions, the Palette is GIGANTIC and I would rather have it out of the way a bit more.

I was really happy the day I figured that out, as I use them constantly, really am LOST without them.

I hate the regular Properties, because it is data overload, and while comprehensive, it slows me down, having to find what I want buried in so

much that I never care about.  Customization is the best way to hit the ground running.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 7:22 AM, CADare said:

When I draw a rectangle, I specify the length and width. But why I can't get them when I choose the rectangle and its Quick properties?

As you are using AutoCAD 2021 try the updated MEASUREGEOM command to quickly display lengths, angles, and areas: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-5D5B0EE1-DD90-47AE-8A55-642FBFF5E4E4-htm.html

• Like 1