Change Index Colors for .ctb

sketch11

It appears that printing via .ctb method is based on the Index colors from 1 to 255 or 256.

Is there a way of actually changing these colors? As seen in Index.

I know they can be changed when modifying the .ctb file but the Index color remains the same.

Where I'm coming from is that, if I reserve the first 10 to allow for color printing, and the rest to print in black, then I know and can remember this ... otherwise I have to go back and check which Index will actually print in color.

Edited by sketch11

You can have as many ctb as you want we had like 4 daily, that we would use thick, thin, BW and Colour. Plus the consultants provided ctb. The only difference for us was we set that 1st 9 pens  to black and ISO pen sizes, the rest were colour. Just had a quick look and have 66 ctb's all different names collected over the years need to erase most now. 

The other thing is we had menu options for plotting so would select correct printer and ctb to be used.

OK thanks but what is the way to change the colors as seen in the Index.

Not to change in the Plot Styles Table Editor, but to change the Index color, as seen in attached.

Capture.PNG

I'm not sure this is possible.  But, Personally, I would avoid doing this. 

For a variety of reasons.. But, mainly, if a client requires a specific CTB for a project, the lineweights would be jacked in the final product.

Internally, you could get around this by using layer dependent plot styles or STB but the moment a client would require a specific CTB be used you would have to then revert back to the standard ACI which would still make changing anything moot.

If you are looking for a specific color/shade I recommend using a true color variant and edit the shading as needed.

It sounds like your question is a color related question to autocad, specifically, not anything involving lineweights.

But your lineweights would still be affected in the long run and cause potential headaches moving forward.

-ChriS

• Like 1

Great, thanks for advising.

Yes, it is a color related question, I was looking to have the first 10 as contrasting (Blue, Red, Green, Magenta, etc). I should have mentioned "as viewed in the AutoCAD Color Index and as viewed in the Drawing as well". But it looks like this is not possible.

STB method is not suitable for my purpose.

What do you mean by:

If you are looking for a specific color/shade I recommend using a true color variant and edit the shading as needed.

Is this done in the Plot Styles Table Editor or the AutoCAD Color Index attached above?

You can edit the ctb and make the pen numbers any colour so Red = 1.

In the images here selected a ctb clicked edit, if I understand right you want to change the colour of pens say 10+, you just click on 10 hold shift and drag over all the other pen numbers and select colour BLACK. The easier way is to start with MONO.ctb and reset the colour of the pens 1-9

image.thumb.png.0a4b3c3f5e552b2dc92b42a0c1128fd3.png

While there's no way to change the Index Colors why not simply modify your Page setups to have Display plot styles checked? 

That way the colors shown on the screen will show the same as they plot. Works for both STB's & CTB's.

I've used Tim Creary's lisp to toggle it off & on since he posted it in 2008.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=75802&highlight=ShowPlotStyles#3

• Like 1