Lost capability to edit text in paper space

Frank Burns

Just today, somehow I've lost the ability to edit text in paper space.  I can edit text in model space fine, but when I attempt to edit a title in paper space, I get a message that says, "Unknown Command MTEDIT.  I use AutoCAD version 2016 everyday and all of a sudden, this problem developed.

I've tried everything, short of placing my hands on the computer commanding it to "Heal".  Anyone have any thoughts?

Sincerely, Frank Burns, USMC Enginer.

Welcome to CadTutor Frank.

You might want to try  "Heal NOW",  with a Bootcamp Inflection, it usually works better for me.    :beer:

That's pretty weird.

Check your DBLCLKEDIT variable, if Off turn it ON.

It is times like this that makes having a .SVF  (system variable file) tucked away somewhere for safe keeping, as presumably one of your system variables, or more, have gone walkabout.

That .svf file would have all your preferred variable settings ready to restore, or rather READ, in the bottom of your SYSVDLG box.

Turn ON your DBLCLKEDIT, and forget about entering a 6 letter shortcall.  Just double click on it, and start editing.

Once you get back on the tracks make sure you click SAVE ALL at the bottom of the SYSVARDLG

image.thumb.png.7417acbdadb5fd3c5861f4bde77e0560.png

Is someboyd messing with your mind and your variables for a laugh?  Check SPACESWITCH too.

image.thumb.png.1ecc8beae3fa8e57ad9dc30dada845ee.png

Edited by Dadgad
Screenshots added

Most likely a change to DEMANDLOAD System Variable, should be 3 IIRC.

Or in Options>Open and Save>ObjectARX apps: Object detect and command invoke

MTEDIT.png

• Like 1

Have you restarted the computer?

The problem with saying that you tried everything is that we have absolutely no idea what you have tried so it's a guessing game as to what you actually tried because you obviously haven't tried everything if it still isn't working.

Edited by RobDraw
  • Like 1

Like RobDraw we have no way of knowing what you've tried unless you tell us.

Have you checked to see if the Mtext's layer is VPfrozen in Paper Space? Can you draw or edit anything else on that layer on that layout?

Have you tried double clicking the Mtext? Does double clicking work for you in Model Space?

Have you checked to see if it's Mtext not Text, Attribute, Rtext, insertion or something else?

Have you had a coworker attempt to edit it to see if they can do it and see what command worked?

Are there other drawings you can still edit in Paper Space? Rare but layouts do get corrupted, try an audit but I've had to rebuild a layout before.

If you answer all these questions we can find other things to explore.

• Like 1