How To Divide an Object

arika

What type of object?

With many simple objects like a line or arc, you can use the BREAK command.

If it's a more complex object, like a hatch object or a region, then something different may work.

So Break, divides it, but it leaves only one side and deletes the other side. i need both sides. Just separated. in the attached pic i would like to divide in the middle of the circle and keep both sides.

Divide object.jpg

You just need to break the rectangle and the ellipse at two points each. Use the same point (the @ sign) for both points of the BREAK command. Some versions of AutoCAD and otherCAD may have a menu item that assists in Breaking At The Pick Point. An ellipse and circle are kind of unique. You will need to break the first time leaving a gap, then adjust for that afterwards. 

j8GZdK4.png

3 hours ago, rkmcswain said:

You just need to break the rectangle and the ellipse at two points each. Use the same point (the @ sign) for both points of the BREAK command. Some versions of AutoCAD and otherCAD may have a menu item that assists in Breaking At The Pick Point. An ellipse and circle are kind of unique. You will need to break the first time leaving a gap, then adjust for that afterwards. 

j8GZdK4.png

Are you saying to hit the "@" when selecting the break point?

2 hours ago, eldon said:

Draw a line across your break point before you copy, and then trim the excess on each copy.

hmm, i think that might work, thanks

Always so many different ways to go.  We all develop our personal favorite ways.   :beer:

After trimming across an added line (as suggested by eldon) you could also use the mirror command.

I tend to use the TRIM command, with the commandline ALL option much more than the BREAK command.

Yeah, that isn't really dividing an object into two pieces, but it certainly will bear a striking similarity to it.

image.thumb.png.efff89b5e890d5316a69476dc5e8e64a.png

Edited by Dadgad