Saving sketch geometry as iges.

Cad-camr

I frequently use solidworks sketch geometry saved as an iges file to generate toolpath in mastercam. The problem is i cant isolate specific sketch entities and save just the ones i want. I get all the sketch geometry. Can someone help? Thank you for your time.:bloodshot:

i save my files as parasolids when going to mastercam from solidworks usually. You can pick up on any of your lines in mastercam so you shouldnt need to send only sketch entities. What is the reason for only sending your sketch lines?

Thanks for your reply Shift. Sketch entities are the basis of many sweeps and extrudes. These construction components from solidworks are used to drive our cutting tools in Mastercam. A lot of these shapes are Cam Lobes and other irregular shapes.

Sorry im not sure how to help you out with this one. All of the swept parts i convert over bring all the sketch geometry into Mastercam and allow me to select them. For larger models this does become a bit of a task. I have tried to issolates sketches after you asked this question with no luck.

When I get the time ill give it a shot. So with your sweeps or lofts, is your path in the center of the object and you want to basically bring this path into mastercam? Does it not bring and edge in that is the path only offset to the surface?

edit. im not sure if there are any other users in here that do CAM work but maybe JD will chime in and know the answer to your save question.

I tried a bunch of things without success also. I thought for sure moving “end of part” above a sketch would omit it… but no. Of course there are workarounds. Like creating a drawing where you can hid sketches, then saveas DXF. Or delete whatever you don’t want, saveas IGES and quit without saving.

I tried going into sketch edit mode and saving as an iges from in there with no luck. It actually saved the whole part but seemed to loose some vital info.