Caps Lock Issue

Bill Tillman

A friend of mine showed me his ACAD LT setup and told me he could control his Caps Lock settings. When he held down the shift key the letters came in a lower case and when he did not depress the shift key he would get upper case. Basically reversed from what I use and consider normal. I told him it was probably an environment setting in his ACAD that was doing it. Unfortunately we did not get it resolved due to time constraints. Any ideas on this would be appreciate.

37 minutes ago, Bill Tillman said:

A friend of mine showed me his ACAD LT setup and told me he could control his Caps Lock settings. When he held down the shift key the letters came in a lower case and when he did not depress the shift key he would get upper case. Basically reversed from what I use and consider normal. I told him it was probably an environment setting in his ACAD that was doing it. Unfortunately we did not get it resolved due to time constraints. Any ideas on this would be appreciate.

That is a new function sometime in the last couple of releases I presume.  TEXTALLCAPS = 0 (OFF) is normal windows keyboard behavior.  TEXTALLCAPS = 1 (ON) is all caps all the time in AutoCad. 

The shift key flips either setting of TEXTALLCAPS the other way, just like in windows.  The keyboard caps lock does not reverse TEXTALLCAPS = 1 (ON)

TEXTALLCAPS doesn't work in block attributes or any pallet or dialog like FIND, properties, or block parameters.  Basically it only works in TEXT, MTEXT, MLEADERS (without any block attached) and dimensions, also dimension overrides as long as you double click edit the dimension on screen rather than put it in the properties dialog.

TEXTALLCAPS does not retro-fix anything.  To fix existing text you have to select and text edit to upper case or vice-versa like always.

Edited by Dana W
  • Like 1

Thank you Dana. I knew it had to be something simple. I work for several different clients and it's amazing how many different setups are out there. Many times the user doesn't even know what's up. This same user told me he could not select multiple items so I showed him how to check the setting for PICKADD. Once we got that right the whole department changed their settings to the relief of everyone. I asked them how long they'd been this way and they were reluctant to admit that it had been a very long time. Environment setting were new to the whole team. I recommended they visit cadtutor.net and once they saw what was available they again were relieved to see that life can be made simpler, sometimes.

1 hour ago, Dana W said:

That is a new function

It's almost 7 years old. Was introduced in AutoCAD 2015

It's also available (and more likely to be accidentally enabled/disabled) on the context menu.

image.png.7fc1a15ec7ed0bcee5992b04b1befb47.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bill Tillman said:

Thank you Dana. I knew it had to be something simple. I work for several different clients and it's amazing how many different setups are out there. Many times the user doesn't even know what's up. This same user told me he could not select multiple items so I showed him how to check the setting for PICKADD. Once we got that right the whole department changed their settings to the relief of everyone. I asked them how long they'd been this way and they were reluctant to admit that it had been a very long time. Environment setting were new to the whole team. I recommended they visit cadtutor.net and once they saw what was available they again were relieved to see that life can be made simpler, sometimes.

I strongly suggest that those with a sincere desire to FIX their AutoCAD spend an hour or two scrolling through the SYSVDLG.

I favor clicking with the cursor arrow, as it will briefly open each variable, and will likely teach you a lot, on the fly.

One size does not fit all, any more than a DEFAULT variable setting delivers optimal performance for everybody.

If that were the case, there wouldn't be any other options, nor need for them.

Next time you find yourself bored, with nothing on your plate, waiting for the next "Hot Potato", which was promised for yesterday to materialize

on your desktop invest a little of that inevitable downtime making your life and software work better for you.

Work SMARTER not harder, the time and frustration you save will be your own.

It is a good idea to take notes of those variable settings which you have changed, in case you later discover that maybe you made a mistake.

Better yet, use the SAVE ALL button at the bottom of the dialog to make sure you have saved a .svf (system variable file) which will

contain all of the current settings on your machine, and put it someplace safe where you can find it, when you need it later.

If you are running pure Autocad Default settings, and want to restore them, choose the READ button at the bottom of the dialog

to restore ALL default variable settings.

Once you have started customizing and personalizing your variable settings that .svf file becomes really important.

It enables you to share with your team, or apply your settings onto another machine.

Should you be borrowing/hijacking a friend or coworker's station, be sure to do a SAVE ALL of their settings before overwriting them with your own,

so that you can restore them when you are through on their desktop.    ;)   :beer:

image.thumb.png.a9488cfb72b4ad19a68a7f811858b01a.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkmcswain said:

It's almost 7 years old. Was introduced in AutoCAD 2015

It's also available (and more likely to be accidentally enabled/disabled) on the context menu.

image.png.7fc1a15ec7ed0bcee5992b04b1befb47.png

New as in not from day one I guess.  At my age, automatic transmissions seem new.

• Funny 2