How should I proceed to see the thickness of polyline.

Giovannino60

How should I proceed to see the thickness of a polyline. If I click on Line thickness setting and click on display thickness, I see on the screen both the thickness and the polyline I am constructing and all the lines already made, instead I want to see only the polyline I am constructing by 1 mm.
Thank you

Vedere spessore polilinea.JPG

@BIGAL has used Properties which are the most universally comprehensive way to go.

Personally I am a big fan of Quick Properties, as shown in the screenshot.

The difference is that Quick Properties displays less information, but because it is user customized, it likely provides more Focus

for an individudal users personal needs and kinds of work. 

A great tool, but one needs to fine tune it first, to make sure that information displayed suits ones own needs.

As needed the full Properties display is always available as a backup, should more information be required than is your personal norm.

In Drafting Settings functionality can be further personalized as shown in the last screenshot.

image.thumb.png.60586d2803ca3f7368c512a2eff92614.png

image.thumb.png.be031ce221378e08de9de1329da1ab5b.png

image.thumb.png.ec0cabbe608a4f927568d53a3dd754e5.png

#QuickProperties

Edited by Dadgad
hashtag added

Your dialogue box is for lineweight, which is different to thickness and width. To see the lineweight you need to highlight the icon shown with the red arrow in this image, if you don't see the icon you can make it visible by clicking on the 3 horizontal lines (yellow arrow) and select line weight.

Lineweight.jpg

• Like 2

Biggest difference is that a set Lineweight displays the same no matter what viewport scale is used, and works for objects & Layers or Plot Styles.

Global Width can only be assigned to polylines. Polyline width can be set at each end of each segment allowing you to create an arrow for instance. The width naturally appears smaller same as the length when zooming out.

Lineweight is used most often assigned as a property of a layer that can easily be modified with Layer States.

• 1 month later...

LINEWEIGHT is exact printed width on paper, but only a relative percentage display width in modelspace.  In other words the assigned lineweight will appear on the monitor only to illustrate which is fatter and which is thinner.  They will not be displayed at the exact width you have assigned them, but will later be printed exactly as wide as assigned.  However, in paperspace the lineweight will be displayed as closely as possible to your assigned width within the mechanical limitations of the screen resolution.

In modelspace, lineweight does not change with zoom level, so the further out you zoom, the harder it is to see individual lines depending on their lineweight.

To make it even more complicated, on OPTIONS>User Preferences>Lineweight Settings... There is a slide adjustment which will increase or decrease all displayed lineweights in modelspace simultaneously, globally.

Edited by Dana W
Obfuscation delights me. :)

I was just asking how to visualize the thickness of one of a polyline and not a normal line? Thank you 

On 5/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Giovannino60 said:

I was just asking how to visualize the thickness of one of a polyline and not a normal line? Thank you 

You are very welcome.

But you showed us a picture of the Lineweight dialog box...🙄  

I see the problem.  Thickness translates to spessore in Italian, and that is what your Lineweight dialog box is labeled with.  Unfortunately Thickness in AutoCAD is used for what we think of as height in English, something else altogether.  In English, all three words, Width, Thickness, and Weight can also mean how wide something is.🤔  No wonder my Italian girlfriend was always mad at me.  I thought she was just hot headed. 😍 

Check the box that says Visualizza spessore linea, OR click the task bar icon that steven-g referred to.   Both can be turned on or off at will.   Remember, the screen representation in modelspace is not true to scale, but the paperspace display is very very close to scale, limited by pixel size.  If you still can't see the lineweight in modelspace, then adjust the slide bar, Rigola scala di visualizzazione.

Google translates lineweight (one word) to spessore di linea which makes things worse. 

Thickness is a 3D property, the vertical (Z axis) height of an individual 3D object. Thickness can be but is not necessarily a property of an individual polyline.

Width is a 2D and 3D property, the actual width in units applied to an individual polyline.   If you add both width and thickness to a polyline you have an object with three dimensions.

Lineweight is a property applied to 2D and 3D objects which will result in the "thickness" of a printed line or polyline.

Now it's time to go listen to Morgan James sing "All About That Bass"  which also has a lot to do with "Thickness"  🤣  You will have to search her up on Facebook Watch or YouTube.  The song I refer to is a cover of a Morgan Trainor song by an ensemble called Postmodern Juke Box.  It's a fun tune, but when Ms James lets go, the hair on your arms will stand up.  Her power and range is worth interrupting this thread for.  She is astounding.  When you are done with that song, move on to her covering "Dream On" by Steven Tyler & Aerosmith.  Then the hair on the back of your neck will also stand up, and you will think she is from another dimension.

Edited by Dana W