title block template margins

donaldo

I'm attempting to create title blocks in various sizes for Metric A0 to A4.   There are many youtube videos out there on the subject, one of which advised that the British standard for margins was 10mm top bottom and right and 20mm on left.  I did that yesterday and found the margin was outside the printed area.  I changed them to 15mm today and A0 seems perfectly fine with ample room to the dotted margin however my A1 attempt has the top and bottom margin outside the printable area.  I was hoping all my templates could have a uniform offset and that would work? It appears my top and bottom margins need to be offset 20mm?  Any advice please - example attached..A1 Template example.dwg

Unfortunately, the margin will change from one plotter to the next, since every machine has its own ideas about printing area. As long as you're sending everything to the same plotter, you can tinker with the margins until you get something you like.

Generally I will only send the drawing as a pdf but occasionally print.  When you say plotter I assume you mean to pdf and not necessarily a physical print?  Is it easier just to make my margins 20mm all round so it is inside dotted lines on all pdfs or do i alter margins on plot.  Not sure how i do the latter mind you..

20 minutes ago, donaldo said:

Generally I will only send the drawing as a pdf but occasionally print.  When you say plotter I assume you mean to pdf and not necessarily a physical print?  Is it easier just to make my margins 20mm all round so it is inside dotted lines on all pdfs or do i alter margins on plot.  Not sure how i do the latter mind you..

Yes, a "plotter" can be a converter, that is, a piece of software that changes one type of file to another. Not only that, there are different versions of PDF converters. In my experience, the best all-around PDF plotter (DWG To PDF) comes from Autodesk, although as always you should try them all to find what works best for you.

Look around in your plotter dialog box. Somewhere you'll find the actual "printable bounds" of a specific sheet on a specific plotter. When I use DWG To PDF, I get a PDF Options button to configure it. We mostly print D size (24"x36"), and with PDF you can get a full bleed, that is, no margins. The same window tells me that ANSI A (letter size), nominally 8.5"x11", has actual printable bounds of 8.11"x9.66". With that information you can calculate the actual margins of your page.

A laser printer A4 and A3 will do around 6mm margins so a A4 is 297x 210 so use say 283 x 196, I have non print corner markers at 0,0 and 297,210 and use plot window centered so works every time.

This is A1and can be used for A3 at 1=2 scale.

image.png.1bf9fd29d6d8f37fd27344081f138fdb.png

For say a A4 booklet need to allow for binding edge