Grid VS Tin Surfaces

SMP

Morning All, 

Aside from how civil manages the points and vertices in a grid and tin types of surfaces, are there any fundamental / functional benefits to having one or the other? I.e. do i get better Civ3d functionality out of one or the other? What applications call for each kind? 

I pretty much use a tin surface for everything? But I see some other tech had gone into my drawing i started months ago, and changed my ground surface i had already spent company time creating as tin to a grid surface? 

I am just wondering why someone felt that was time well spent doing twice? And if it was time well spent i'd like to be in on these benefits as well. I'd ask them directly but they are no longer working here. 

2 hours ago, TRogers said:

NEVER use ground unless you are working on a road project. There is no rhyme or reason to use ground on site projects.

I meant types of surface. Grid type surface versus tin type. Not Grid coordinates versus ground coordinates. Sorry for the confusion. 

15 hours ago, BIGAL said:

A tin can take into account stuff like breaklines where as a grid normally does not. A grid misses true survey points.

Cheers. Thanks for that.

So is it safe to assume that a tin would be a more accurate tool to use for surface models where calculating earth volumes and earthworks design projects are the scope? In what instance or application would a grid type surface have an advantage over a tin. I read yesterday somewhere that when working with large data set's like lidar, for example a grid type surface would be easier on Civ3D to manage the points? 

I suppose i am at a loss as to wen a grid type surface might be useful and accurate?  

A grid surface, when used for earthwork calculations, is never more than an approximation. It's a holdover from the days when such things were done by hand, and a quick approximation was better than an accurate but lengthy process. The A/E/C industry is still behind the curve of the Digital Revolution; it's now possible to get quick as well as accurate data, but many managers insist on doing things the way they've always done it.

• Like 1

I have worked on large housing estates generally with grassed ex farm paddocks, so a grid is more than suitable, with the edges true survey and any existing road ends added so a combo of grid and TIN. 

I have a friend who does Farm laser grading and its all done as grids as survey may be like 20 acres in size.

Edited by BIGAL