How do I draw cool Icons for custom Toolbar?

TimZilla

I'm sure most of you have made custom toolbars and more than likely used that generic little square box with a line and some colors to draw your own icons.

I look at some of these other Icons and know for a fact that the person who made it didn't use the generic utility I used.

Does anybody know of a program that I could download to draw some nice looking toolbars?

Posted at the AutoDesk Discussion Groups by Dean Saadallah:

"Look up CUSTOMIZE in HELP...(or just start the TOOLBAR command, and click on the HELP button)."

Anything that can save as .bmp files should work. Paint.net would be a good choice. I would open an existing icon and see what size it is, probably 16x16 and then make my own. I guess if you are trying to replace an existing one you could save your new icon with the same name in the same folder but back your default icon up 1st.

Anything that can save as .bmp files should work. Paint.net would be a good choice. I would open an existing icon and see what size it is, probably 16x16 and then make my own. I guess if you are trying to replace an existing one you could save your new icon with the same name in the same folder but back your default icon up 1st.

Top notch

Wish I thought of that.

OK, so an icon is an icon. There is a tutorial for making icons in Inkscape that might be of use to some of you. Have a look...

http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/2008/03/31/creating-icons-with-inkscape-a-basic-workflow/

Might be worth a look. I think this one saves the file as a png but you might be able to go straight to a bmp file. Look at some of the other tutorials there as well.

I have even seen people use images of 3D models as icons.

Sean

AutoCAD has its own Icon Editor.

guess you didn't read my whole post. Looking for something less generic. The ones I make on that look horrible.

Hey Tim, if you have a copy of Adobe (Macromedia) Fireworks it can make good icons too.

Fireworksforicons.jpg

I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to get that. :wink: :unsure: o:)

Huh, I have seen some kickin' art from Paint! I don't have that skill but some do :wink:

I use good ol' paint. Never lets me down....but never does anything eye catching or efficiently either.