Referencing a file name with an attribute

Is there some kind of simple code I can use as a default attribute value that will display the name of the file?

The article below describes a modification to the attribute itself. I need to avoid using such a method.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-forum/attribute-to-reference-drawing-file-name/td-p/5211633

I'm not following what you want. How much of the file name do you want? Can you post an example?

AFAIK a FIELD is the only way, not sure if that link shows the best method, what's actually wrong with using that method? Not much that's simpler than DIESEL for this that I can think of.

The following DIESEL Expression will post the drawing name without .dwg on the end. But really no different than using FILENAME in the linked thread except removes the .dwg.

$(substr,$(getvar,"dwgname"),1,$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,"dwgname")),4))