exporting .dwg to .dgn 150 drawings

microstationuser2022

Morning guys.

I've been asked to work on a project in Microstation, but the files supplied are in an unknown version of Autocad.  A simple open or import to microstation tells me the files are an unknown format and my 2014 version of AutoCAD also wont open so I'm assuming they are a later .dwg version.

I'm unable to use the batch converter in microstation and my PC wont run AutoCAD trueview either.

There are approximately 150 drawings that I need to convert.  Are there any other options I can try, or does anyone here offer a conversion service?

TIA

Looks like the drawing was saved to version AC1032 which is AutoCAD 2018/2019/2020 AFAIK.

You could try to get your computer up to specs for DWG TrueView. I don't have time right now to do all of those conversions.

What version of DGN file do you need? My 2022 only does V7 and V8.

These are V7.

703786548_WKS-MLM-TH-01-DR-E-1704_FirstFloor-ContainmentLayout-Sheet2of3_Preliminary_Information_C01_1-Layout1.dgn 1259150286_WKS-MLM-TH-01-DR-E-1704_FirstFloor-ContainmentLayout-Sheet2of3_Preliminary_Information_C01_1.dgn

6 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

Looks like the drawing was saved to version AC1032 which is AutoCAD 2018/2019/2020 AFAIK.

You could try to get your computer up to specs for DWG TrueView. I don't have time right now to do all of those conversions.

What version of DGN file do you need? My 2022 only does V7 and V8.

These are V7.

703786548_WKS-MLM-TH-01-DR-E-1704_FirstFloor-ContainmentLayout-Sheet2of3_Preliminary_Information_C01_1-Layout1.dgn 3.11 MB · 0 downloads 1259150286_WKS-MLM-TH-01-DR-E-1704_FirstFloor-ContainmentLayout-Sheet2of3_Preliminary_Information_C01_1.dgn 3.74 MB · 0 downloads

I'm running V8i (select series 3)

I just tried opening both of the exports you sent back and it opens fine, just had to update from v7 to v8, THANK YOU 👏 

Is there a way to batch convert these when you have more time?  I'm happy to pay the going rate

Thanks again

Morning guys.

Is anyone able to help with the conversion of these drawings?

AutoCAD 2018/19/20 to Microstation V8?

Many thanks

Gonna be honest the last time I used microstation was in 2017 but I do remember successfully importing DWG content to an established microstation file.

From what I recall I ended up having to to save my linework as a DXF in Autocad, first.

Then I was able to import the DXF to my Microstation DGN file.

I then added all my dimensions, annotations and notes in microstation so everything looked pretty.

If another option is required to get the job done, another alternative is to print the needed sheet(s) to PDF and import them, independently, to microstation.

I recall having an issue with vertical scaling but I think in my case it was just my old POS computer.

In my case when I imported the DXF to microstation not all the objects would import for whatever reason.

Microstation doesn't know how to render some autocad objects because there is no equivalent type of object in microstation.  So some stuff it will convert for the sake of importing to microstation, but some autocad objects can get lost in the process (just the nature of different vendors).

Usually linework imports just fine tho.

So I guess one option is to explode everything in your DWG to linework and import that as a DXF into microstation if nothing else works.

-ChriS

Edited by ammobake

On 07/01/2022 at 21:19, ammobake said:

Gonna be honest the last time I used microstation was in 2017 but I do remember successfully importing DWG content to an established microstation file.

From what I recall I ended up having to to save my linework as a DXF in Autocad, first.

Then I was able to import the DXF to my Microstation DGN file.

I then added all my dimensions, annotations and notes in microstation so everything looked pretty.

If another option is required to get the job done, another alternative is to print the needed sheet(s) to PDF and import them, independently, to microstation.

I recall having an issue with vertical scaling but I think in my case it was just my old POS computer.

In my case when I imported the DXF to microstation not all the objects would import for whatever reason.

Microstation doesn't know how to render some autocad objects because there is no equivalent type of object in microstation.  So some stuff it will convert for the sake of importing to microstation, but some autocad objects can get lost in the process (just the nature of different vendors).

Usually linework imports just fine tho.

So I guess one option is to explode everything in your DWG to linework and import that as a DXF into microstation if nothing else works.

-ChriS

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply.

The issue is that I don't have a compatible version of AutoCAD to open the files with.

I'm looking for someone who can open the files and export to .dgn for me.

Thanks

Lee

15 minutes ago, eldon said:

Have you tried looking on the internet to see what FREE conversion facilities are available?

Yes, but nothing that is compatible with my (old) PC

What are the specifications on your computer? I would think if it runs Microstation, it can run DWG TrueView. Maybe an older version like 2019 is still available somewhere.

What about getting the original creators of the .dwg to save them as an older version?

Here is an online convertor Convert CAD to a different version (Free & Online) - PDF2everthing (pdf2everything.com)

DWG true view should be able to open the cad file you are talking about, you could then save as a DXF and import that content to DGN/Microstation.

BUT the problem you are having is probably being caused by outdated OS.

They ended windows 7 support around 2016 or something.

Is there not an option to insert the PDF/sheets directly to microstation like I mentioned?  That would at least get you on the right track.

Trying to work with CAD files without a way to do so just won't work.

-ChriS

Edited by ammobake

The only issue I see is the file sizes you start with 723kb and make 3.1Mb files that is a big answer at 450Mb to be pushing around the hidden www. 

Yes, but nothing that is compatible with my (old) PC WRONG !!

Like SLW210 if you have a internet connection there is conversion out there that you send a file and they send it back to you, it has a free version and a pay for which you may need to look at. I would have to find it again.

Don't you know someone that has like a 2018 version give them a USB with dwg's a simple script and away you go 150 to convert. Not sure about accoreconsole and dgn out that would be even faster. Even Open, dgnout, close, would be reasonably quick.

Edited by BIGAL

Looking at this, for reference, if you open a DWG file using a text editor (notepad) then the first word (AC1032 for example) is the code for the version it is saved as (see this list, though I'd be very surprised is anyone was using anything professionally earlier then R11).

Never used it, but there is an online trueview version - can you sign into Autodesk or sign up to an account and use that to save backwards to what you need?.. however like BigAl, a real life friend with AutoCAD and a USB stick to do the conversion would maybe easiest for the cost of a cup of tea.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/drawing-version-codes-for-autocad.html
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/drawing-version-codes-for-autocad.html

Edited by Steven P
Edited to add links I referred to