Save creates 2 drawings

JonnaMcSki

OK so I tried to find a way to open a new conversation to ask this question but I'm too lost and frustrated in my CAD program to be lost and frustrated in this program apologies for not asking the question in a new location. My question is I can't keep my software from duplicating every single thing I save every time I save something it duplicates it doesn't matter if it's a new project or an old project everything gets duplicated, how do I change the setting so I don't get duplicates every time I save something? Is it possible to do this in a way that allows me to not have to do it every time I open a new drawing?

Let me see if I understand you correctly.  When you create a drawing (ex. - ABC123.dwg) and save it you end up with an exact duplicate of the drawing (ex. - another ABC123.dwg).  Is that correct?  Are both drawings saved to the same folder or to different folders?

Hello ReMark and SLW210,

First, thank you for pointing out the "Start new topic" button. I have now found it. 

Second, I think will help I'm new to pc world so I hope this is what you're requesting. In the screenshot I have marked the ones I'm talking about. There were more but I had to clean some of them out, it was too hard to keep track of which are the correct ones and which are not. 

Screenshot (113).png

I can barely read that screen shot and I am wearing my glasses.  LOL!  So, you have the same drawing, saved at four different times or is it (the red marks), two drawings saved at two different times.  It looks as though you are saving the drawings to a folder named "Documents".  Is that correct?  BTW... are you running AutoCAD on a Mac?  I ask because if you are then that would explain what you are seeing.  Found this online: "When saving a drawing in AutoCAD for Mac, instead of overwriting the existing file, a copy is created with an incremental number appended to the file name. Multiple copies of the same drawing are created, one for every time the file was saved."

Edited by ReMark

Exactly what command are you using? 

QSAVE (Command) is what you should probably be using - https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-99900C99-230D-4709-B8DD-A44435328A13

Saves the current drawing using the specified default file format.

If the drawing is named, the program saves the drawing and does not request a new file name. Use the SAVEAS command if you need to save a drawing with a different name.

If the drawing is unnamed, the Save Drawing As dialog box (see SAVEAS) is displayed and the drawing is saved with the file name and format you specify.

SAVE (Command) - https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-155255B4-ADFA-4C21-958F-601DE09260EB

Saves the current drawing under a different file name or location without changing which drawing file is the current one.

For AutoCAD-Based Products

Displays the Save Drawing As dialog box with the following behavior:

If the drawing has been previously saved, saves the current drawing to the file name or location that you specify, but leaves the current drawing unchanged.

If the drawing has never been saved, saves the drawing to a specified file name, and makes it the current drawing file. You can tell whether the current drawing has been previously saved with the DWGTITLED system variable.

This cloning operation is handy for creating a series of intermediate backup drawings as you work without changing the name of your drawing.

Note: The Save option on the Application button, Standard toolbar, Quick Access toolbar, and File menu is QSAVE.

Try saving to a normal location as a test, say the desktop and not one drive. Some of our systems will create a new copy everytime it is saved as a version control even, for example if you saved the drawing before lunch, keep working on it after lunch, then save and close at home time..... 2 versions for the 1 set of changes. Normal file locations such as the desktop don't do that.... so worth checking if it is al drives or just your onedrive