Thumbnail quality is different when switching to 4k monitor

3dwannab

I use this lisp in my start up so I have these system variables whenever.

;; Thumbnail settings
  (setvar "THUMBSAVE" 1)
  (setvar "THUMBSIZE2D" 1) ;; This is very important. The max resolution of the thumbnails is 256 if this is 0.
  (setvar "THUMBSIZE" 4)
  (setvar "UPDATETHUMBNAIL" 16)

I recently upgraded to a 4k monitor but as you can see the thumbnail appearance differs from what I had before. Is there something else that could affect this.

I like the highlighted one better which was on my old monitor. It just looks less jaggy. The bottom left is the one that's saved there with the new monitor.

I've uploaded the block that's affected if that makes any difference.

thumb.png.2bb69cbe595c29c3668a154fe66f5012.png

WC-Window-Glazed-Triple-PLAN&SEC-DYN.dwg

Edited by 3dwannab

Is the computer screen also 4K?

Looking at the SYSVDLG I see theses options for thumbsize available.

I suggest you try setting your thumbsize variable to 8, as per the screenshot.

image.thumb.png.fb8f0854c3d5c23d1310e1d7f56eb0a1.png

3 hours ago, f700es said:

What video card do you have? I run a 4k 38" wide panel and a 27" 1080 screen and I don't see any difference in mine.

I have a GTX 970. Prior to my change of monitor the thumbnails were fine with the same card.

I just tested this at work, I have two 28 inch monitors and when I save the same file the thumbnails appear just fine.

Very strange.

Are you making use of the HDMI-2 port on the GTX 970?  If so the GPU will go to 3840×2160.  Otherwise the results are downgraded a bit.  I did not know that.  I just googled it.

(How did I get to be a grand master?  That is impossible and a tad ridiculous indeed.)

Edited by Dana W
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Dana W said:

Are you making use of the HDMI-2 port on the GTX 970?  If so the GPU will go to 3840×2160.  Otherwise the results are downgraded a bit.  I did not know that.  I just googled it.

Well... TIL (today I learned)

• Agree 1

Thanks Dana!! I'm using the display 2.0 port and it says it's outputing out at 3840 x 2160, custom scaling set to 100% and nothing else that I can see that is affecting this.

So you're saying ACAD is not picking that up?

515665798_MonitorResolution.png.da2f81dd8ba763948c534a943fb4d1c7.png

Sorry, I just read your reply I guess DP 4 is newer than DP 1.4.  I just went clueless again.

Dana

It does not support 4k through the DP port.

This is because HDR support for DisplayPort was only introduced in DisplayPort 1.4. HDR: Nvidia graphics cards.

Are you seeing this condition on a computer monitor or a TV monitor?  TV monitor LEDs or LCDs are about 4 times bigger than a computer monitor pixel.

I don't know about a 4k TV monitor LED size, but computer monitor screens 

Edited by Dana W
  • Like 1